Eggs and the cold

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LocoPollo, Nov 22, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    One of my hens laid her first egg yesterday, and I think more will be starting before too long. With the cold weather and all, will the eggs freeze and bust if they are not collected in time? I didnt get one from the laying hen today, and if she laid after I left her and it sits overnight, I am wondering what I will find in the morning!

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It's been in the 20's here and our eggs have been fine. Never had one explode; more worried about freezing. Yours should be just fine!

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg. My hens laid 3 eggs today and the high was 15 F. I didn't get home until late and all the eggs were fine.

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I have also just started getting eggs this week from my pullets! Congrats! My eggs have been fine. It is around 20 degrees and colder at night. Do you know when they lay? One of mine lays early morning, the other is a afternoon layer. I just keep an eye out. None have exploded though.

5. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    She laid yesterday at midmorning, but i was out there today working on the new coop till 2 and I didnt see her lay. Then I had to leave. I hope to find one in the morning!

6. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I am sure they will be fine. Are your nesting boxes insulated? Just curious. I was talking to a friend of mine and she said her eggs were frozen. The hens were laying on an outside wall. I told her to get a milk crate and fill it with hay for them and maybe put an egg in it so they see it as a nest. She can put it in a warmer area of the barn away from drafts. Kathy does that now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by