Eggs and the postal service

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jackiedon, Jul 21, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I bought some phoniex and some silkie eggs from Naptail (JJ). In the past I went to the post office to have them to call me. But the I've ordered some stuff so the mail carrier would drive up to my house and blow her horn. So I didn't go to the post office to tell them to call me. Well when the eggs came the mail carrier hung the box on the mailbox with a rubberband. I barely touched the box when the rubberband flew off and the box fell to the ground!!!!!! Not hitting the dirt hitting the pavement!!!

I rushed up the driveway so I could see how many eggs I broke. I openned the box and guess how many broke????

NONE!!!!!!!! As far as I can tell not even a crack!! JJ packs her eggs really well. Tonight is day 3 so I thought I would candle tonight to see if there are any blood vessels.

jackie

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I would be having a serious talk with the postal carrier. That just ticks me off. Even if the package did not say hatching eggs I am sure it said Fragile. There is no excuse for hanging it on the mail box at the street no less.

I always have my boxes marked to call me for pick up. That way I know they were kept in the air conditioned office till I get there. I usually meet the truck, lol. It is much safer for the eggs especially in the summer when it is hot or it rains most days.

3. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    WooHoo!! I still love packing eggs that way. I have met but a few people who don't like my method ,but what can you do. It is tried and true and well Jackie I have to thank your postal person for that much. You keep us posted on them eggs, I know I've spoken with a couple different hatchery owners in the last week and they are all having heat issues with their flocks and bators. So glad mine is off for the season. Just letting the girls work now:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by