Eggs and what to do!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ajesus92, Aug 23, 2013.

1. ajesus92

ajesus92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I recently save a poor hen that was mistreated, living in a cage stepping on her own pop. She was the only hen in the small cage with 6 rooster. Long story short, I bought her, clean her wounds on her back, and let her roam free in my backyard with my other hen. Two week later she starts laying an egg on a nest I built for some ducks, but she decided to make it her nest. I really don't know if they are fertile. But it been like this she lay one day the in two day lay another one, then again. Now she has 9 eggs but she never sit on them unless she goes to lay another one. Well my question is, is it okay for the eggs to be left alone like that. I prefer to never bother her nest, but I was wonder how does the whole, hen laying egg and hatching chick work?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    It's so nice that you rescued her and are giving her a nice life. I'm sure she's loving life now! [​IMG]

It sounds like she's just using the nest as a place to lay her eggs - like a nest box in a chicken coop. If she's only there long enough to lay another egg then she's not broody (setting eggs to hatch). You can probably go ahead and eat the eggs she lays there from now on.

When a hen goes broody she will usually stay on the eggs (or in the nest) all the time. She'll puff up and flatten out on the eggs whenever you go near.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    And typically the eggs she lays will only be fertile up to 20-30 days after being with a rooster. So dependent on the time frame they may no longer be fertile eggs.. Also dependent on the breed she may never go broody. So enjoy the eggs.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    So are you saying that if she wanted it too she would just lay an egg and not get of it ?

5. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    The first nest I've made for a bird lol don't judge![​IMG]

6. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    Her eggs[​IMG]

7. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    Here her laying on the eggs at night, the chicken wire is to keep critters out! [​IMG]

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Since she is not broody and sitting on the eggs I'd collect them. They will eventually just rot.

10. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm not a fan of egg as my family, but they won't be back till next month. I
    Until then I will let her stay with those egg until they smell rot then ill throw them away. Or when my family get back so she can start laying new egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by