Eggs And Worming

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brookiesflock, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    ok so I just wormed my whole flock and now they are starting to lay, just got my first egg yesterday, how long to wait before we start using eggs? how often do I worm them?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What did you use to worm them? It should state on the label how long for egg withdrawal. If it doesn't state, the usual time is 7-10 days. i use Wazine in the water and then ivermectin topical. i tend to wait about a week before we eat the eggs. i will actually wait two weeks for eggs i'm giving away, just to be safe.

3. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    yes Im using the same, oh you can use horse wormer? how often do you worm them?
    Quote:

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i use the Wazine about twice a year, as a precaution. i tend to use the ivermectin more often, as it kills mites, too. And we have a terrible time with mites here. The ivermectin is a pour-on parasiticide for cattle. You can use a syringe and do drops on the back of the chickens, like you do with flea treatments for dogs and cats. i use a syringe to put the liquid into a small dropper bottle, similar to those small ones used for eye drops. Makes it easier for me to dispense the drops. You can use about 2-3 drops for bantams and 4-5 drops for larger chickens.

Edited to add: You want to make sure you get it on the skin. Part the feathers and find the skin, otherwise the feathers soak it up.

Here is a picture of the box and bottle. The little bottle i use to dispense the drops is on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    awesome thank you sooo much I apresheate your time!! We must keep our flocks happy and healthy!! [​IMG]

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Just to clarify, what i've read on this board from more knowledgeable chicken keepers, you use the wazine first, then wait a week and do the ivermectin. The ivermectin will get worms that the wazine doesn't kill, and then gets rid of the mites and lice on chickens, too, if they have them.

Glad i could help. i've gotten such great advice on this board myself.

7. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    I will do that for sure!! [​IMG]
    Quote:

8. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    one more question lol I have ten 6 week old silkies, should I wait awhile before I worm them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by