eggs are getting gray spots

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melramsey, Aug 6, 2013.

1. melramsey

melramsey New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    ft bragg north carolina
    Day 21 the eggs were rocking with no sounds but now on day 23 ive noticed light gray spots are popping up. I took the advice to place the eggs in a large container with hot tap water to check if there was movement and there was(I think). This is more stressful then when I went to give birth to my own children!!!! This is my second attempt. My first one I only had 3 eggs and they all died at differant stages so I thought I fixed the problems. This time I did 3 again and they were all doing well until the 21st day. I went out and got a new thermometer to made sure the other one was correct and it was. Does anyone know what the light gray spots are?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have not experienced that particular problem. I would go more by whether or not your eggs are showing any signs of life (rocking, peeping, pips, etc.) By day 23, there should be something there - especially if they were rocking on Day 21. If there is nothing, I'm guessing that they are no longer alive.

3. melramsey

melramsey New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    ft bragg north carolina
    ive read that I can poke a tiny hole where the air sack is to check if it is still alive. If it is then to place it back. should I try that?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That's a choice that only you can make. I wouldn't, but I'm more of a hands-off-let-Nature-take-its-course kind of hatcher. If the chick is alive and healthy, it will hatch. If it's not, it won't. I firmly believe that chicks that aren't strong enough to hatch on their own will not thrive on their own, either. Yes, I know that lots of people have assisted and their chicks are just fine, with care and time. That's just not how I do it. If this were my situation, I would take the eggs out of the incubator, dispose of them, think about what time of year it is and probably wait until spring before trying again. That's just me. I would be interested in knowing how this turns out for you, though, so please keep posting updates!

5. melramsey

melramsey New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    ft bragg north carolina
    The egg that had the light gray spots was a bad egg, Its development stopped a while ago. The other 2 must have died 2 days ago. I checked them and it seems as though the membrane was very tight. Im not sure what causes that. Its sad to have lost the 2 at such a later stage but Im so thankful I did not do a large batch as many do(I would be balling my eyes out for a week). I think Im going to try one more time with just 3 eggs that I have already from today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by