1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs are getting smaller.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerinKC, Sep 16, 2011.

1. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    My five Golden Comets have been laying for about six weeks now and at first they were mostly cute tiny eggs-then they got much bigger-at least large to extra large size.

The past week it seems like they are almost all medium size. Does anyone else have varying size eggs? Do I need to add something to their food? [​IMG]

2. farmerinKC

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Could it be that I have stopped giving them yogurt as their treat? Maybe they need more protein?

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    It may be protein, or shorter days, or worms.
    let's see what everyone else says.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Likely a few things, but try this. Change your feed to a 20% flock raiser type feed for one bag. Yes, it costs a buck or two more, but I got a feeling the egg size will increase. While you don't say, you are likely feeding a standard 16% protein layer formula?

If you are ration feeding, rather than free feeding, up their portion, especially the mid afternoon portion. Another couple ounces per bird.

Or, if you have a dozen extra eggs, crack them into a pail and stir in 4 cups of their feed. Within a day or two, if their egg size increases, which I believe it will, you'll have the answer to your question about more protein. Sex links are genetically disposed to needing "better" feed than a heritage breed. The RSLs are great producers, but have high protein feed needs to achieve this laying.

5. farmerinKC

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thank you Fred's Hens for your reply. I was completely out of feed yesterday-so made the 20 mile trip to buy some-unfortunately I hadn't asked the question about the protein yet.

Sorry, I didn't first tell what I had been feeding.

I have been giving them Nutrena Nature Wise 18% Starter Grower crumbles ever since they finished the first bag of medicated. Their feed is available to them at all times. I had not switched to layer feed yet, because I still have 2 EEs and 2 BOs that have not started laying yet-so I bought some oyster shell-and have offered it in a bowl free choice.

So, yesterday I almost bought 22% Game Bird feed-but the Nutrena 18% crumbles were on sale so I bought a bag of that and a bag of 16% layer crumbles-that I thought I would mix in when all of them have started to lay. I guess I should have gone ahead and bought the Game Bird 22%-because when I start mixing the two together I will be lowering the protein. [​IMG]

Or, if you have a dozen extra eggs, crack them into a pail and stir in 4 cups of their feed. Within a day or two, if their egg size increases, which I believe it will, you'll have the answer to your question about more protein. Sex links are genetically disposed to needing "better" feed than a heritage breed. The RSLs are great producers, but have high protein feed needs to achieve this laying.

I will try the eggs-and that's good to know about the RSLs higher protein needs.

The reason I stopped giving them yogurt is because it's expensive-now that they are bigger they can really gobble it down. I had read on here about how much chickens like scratch-so last time at the feed store I bought a 50# bag for about $10.00-so eliminating the yogurt and giving scratch instead probably wasn't a good idea.

Thank you again for your help. There is lots to learn about these chickens!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by