Eggs are hatching

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aquaman05, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I decided to let my hen have her eggs for awhile to see if they would hatch. Well I had one break out a couple days ago and they are in the nesting box together. I ran after food and set up a place in my barn but the baby wants no part of being left alone. I moved the hen into the barn with the chick and called it right down. I put some food and water in there with them along with the rest of the eggs.
    Is this ok ? I did put a heat lamp in there with them.
    I hope the baby will start eating and drinking
    Anything I need to do here ?

Thanks

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    sounds like youre doing fine. is it just one baby chick? Let momma take care of it. also make sure heat lamp dont get too hot!. put the babie's mouth in the water so she can get her first taste.

3. Aquaman05

May 2, 2012
    Yes, just one.
    Went I went to the coop this morning she was on the coop floor with the chick under her.
    The eggs got cold and one looks like it was starting to crack on the top. I put the eggs back under her but is it to late ?
    I thought about breaking the shell myself but didn't

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Is it alive? hopefully keep it under mother, if you cant , get a very warm wet rag, hold the egg and try to peel egg shell carefully, dont pull the membranes.

5. Aquaman05

May 2, 2012
    Yes one hatched and is alive , but the eggs that was left in the cold for a few hrs I'm worried about . One of those has a small crack in it I'm guessing a baby was doing this. I was just wondering if the baby would die that fast if eggs are left unattended ?

6. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Is it moving or peeping at all? The one that tried to hatch?

7. Aquaman05

May 2, 2012
    It's still in the egg. The egg just has a small crack at the top, so I'm guessing its close to hatching. BUT , this egg got cold today cause the hen moved off them for a few hrs .

Sorry if this seems confusing

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If the chick in the egg is still alive, you'll here it peeping. If you hear no sound, I'd throw the eggs out. Since momma left them to get cold, she's most likely done sitting and ready to care for her baby. Good luck.
    Nikki

9. Aquaman05

May 2, 2012
    Thank you Nikki

I think the eggs she was sitting on are kinda spread out on age.
    I'll check on here in alittle bit and put my ear on the egg.
    She is sitting on about 5 so I wish there was a way I could tell if there was anything in them or not ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by