Eggs are hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marandachase, Jul 26, 2014.

1. marandachase

marandachase Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    This is my first crack at incubating and the eggs are finally hatching! How long do I leave them in the incubator? Until they are dry? And what do I do with them when they are ready to come out? Do I need to get a heat lamp? I was not prepared, as you can tell! HELP!

2. willber2000

willber2000 Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    id advise leaving them in an till they are at lest dry. also just let them come out by them selves if you see they are really trying to get out some time you should help them out but make sure they cant do it by them selves before you help. and about the heat lamp you really only need it to be at least 80F degrees if you can get the temp that high with out one you shouldn't need a heat lamp. also im not an expert but my advise should be good. I incubated eggs too so i know some stuff.[​IMG] good luck

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, leave them in the incubator at least until they're dry, and wait until several are ready to come out before taking them out because you don't want to keep opening your incubator and letting moisture out. When I hatch with an incubator, I put them in a box or big Rubbermaid container with a heat lamp (actually, when they're in the house I use a 100 watt light bulb). Watch your chicks and make sure they can get away from the heat if they want. If they're crowding under the light, they're too cold. If they're as far away as they can get, they're too hot. If they're eating, drinking, and peeping contentedly, they're just right. If you don't have heat and they get too cool, they may pile up and suffocate the bottom ones. Been there, done that. Immediately after your chicks have hatched, I would suggest you get their coop and run built because they'll be ready to move outside before you know it. They grow fast!

4. marandachase

marandachase Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    Thank y'all very much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by