Eggs are here!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MiksChicks, Feb 8, 2017.

1. MiksChicks

MiksChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2017
    Marshall, Tx
    [​IMG]Hi, I'm Mik, expectant chicken mom, and new to the forum. I've been gorging on the articles and threads here at BYC.
    My daughter ordered eggs from a hatchery because I liked the pictures and yesterday was my birthday. Lol My soon-to-be husband got me an incubator.
    The eggs are silkie/americauna mix.
    I was very pleased with the delivery. 6 were ordered, 8 were sent, individually bubble wrapped, then wrapped together with packing peanuts all around. Of the 8, only one has a crack.
    My question is, 4 of the eggs are pale blue/green and medium size, and 4 are cream, almost pink, and very small.
    Could they be different breeds, or is this common in mixed breed birds?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi! Did she order mixed breed eggs (unlikely from a hatchery) or could she have ordered a mix of silkie and Ameraucana eggs? That would explain the different colors. I think it's possible you have a mix of eggs and not mixed breed eggs :)

What hatchery did they come from?

3. MiksChicks

Feb 8, 2017
    Marshall, Tx
    She got them from eBay. This is the link:
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/282352241342
    It's ended, of course, but I think you can still read the details. She's calling them Chiquita chickens.
    ???

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Ah, I've seen those. Those are highly mixed chickens that that person has bred towards certain traitsl. So I expect that since they're not a real breed, they all still have some different traits and probably lay differently colored eggs. That would explain the differences.

I don't think that's a hatchery, just a person with a backyard flock :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  5. MiksChicks

Feb 8, 2017
    Marshall, Tx
    Yes. My daughter didn't know the difference, but that's okay by me. I'll love them anyway. Lol
    Thank you!

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I bet they'll be pretty! I've got eggs incubating myself, so I'll keep you company as a hatching buddy if you'd like :)

7. MiksChicks

Feb 8, 2017
    Marshall, Tx
    That would be great. Right now I have them on a shelf settling after their trip. I'll put them in the incubator in the morning.
    I can't get enough of the articles and forum...my Facebook friends are going to think I'm MIA. LOL

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Lol! I'll see about setting some more tomorrow so we'll be hatching at the same time.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by