Eggs are IN THE HATCHER! - Update - PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DuckyBoys, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well my 4 call duck eggs are in the hatcher. Humidity is at 80% in there - or it will be once it recovers from being opened. This is day 23 [​IMG] .

So here is my OOPS moment:

I bought a Genesis a few weeks ago to make my primary incubator and I set it up and switched my eggs and the turner over from the still air. I then noticed that I was unable to accurately moniter temps in the still air because I had no eggs in there anymore to rest the thermometer on. So I figured I'd put in some clear eggs that I hadn't had the chance to get rid of yet.

Yes, you guessed it. I candled those eggs when I took them out tonight and one is fertile and growing. Only problem is that it hasn't been turned for a week, or basically almost the whole time it's been in incubation, not to mention there were a few days there that it ran out of water completely, so basically zero % humidity as we don't do humid here in Colorado.

I don't know if it will hatch - but I stuck it in the Genesis with the others to give it a try. Its a high quality white runner.

Live and learn. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Murphy's Law.

That still air has had a constant temp of 102 for over a week, but now that I want to hatch something it can't get back up above 94.

[​IMG]

I had to put them back in the Genesis because of the temps. Since this is only day 24 I hope it won't effect them much, the humidity in there is almost 80% so there is no difference in the optimal conditions for this stage.

[​IMG] Please give me one ducky...just one little ducky!

3. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a shaker!

Holy begezes how am I going to be able to stop staring at this incubator? [​IMG]

LOL...now I understand the crazy excitment everyone goes through...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It is exciting! My DH thinks I'm nuts, but oh well! I'm happy that things are going okay with your eggs. [​IMG] Sending hatching vibes your way for those ducks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Ok so I asked this on a different thread... but when you have a shaker... how long does it normally take for them to shake on out? LOL!

I've been going nuts since this morning... I can't stop looking into my bator. 3 of them have been moving and a shaking since this morning... one since last night...[​IMG]

7. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL...I dunno - I'm thinking this could be a long wait! One has actually shook itself about 3 inches across the bator floor!

8. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Oh geez!!! You're going to have your hands full with that one! LOL!

9. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well it is officially day 25. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nothing yet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You should expect some pipping tomorrow. If there is no pipping by the end of day 26. i would candle them to make sure they are still alive, and if they are through the air sac, I would make a tiny pip hole so they can breathe. Good Luck.

i just lost 3 call ducklings today. the drowned in their waterbowl. then my broody stopped sitting on her eggs, which are around 2.5 weeks in developtment, so Im sure they are all dead. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by