Eggs are not moving.... Lockdown Day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HookLineSilkie, Nov 15, 2019.

1. HookLineSilkie

HookLineSilkie Songster

Oct 28, 2019
    San Martin, CA
    ok, so when I put them into lockdown a day or so ago they were alive in shell. As soon as I locked it up, I have seen no egg movement. I don’t want to open lid. It is day 20... I have shone a light on my eggs from outside the incubator and they don’t move. I have been staring at them constantly, no movement. Sometimes I think I see slight raising and lowering like breathing patterns but I think I’m going cross-eyed. Is this normal? I’m not normal but is my situation with the still and quiet eggs normal? I am having a bout of egg-ziety.

2. Skippersnh

Skippersnh Songster

Oct 14, 2019
    omg you started a new thread lol
    ok i would candle 1 or 2 to confirm movement im sure they are fine
    ive candled during lockdown quite a few times just be fast about it

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Embryos sleep too. I don't even look for egg movement. It doesn't matter till they hatch or don't. There is zero you can do at this point to make a difference one way or the other.

4. HookLineSilkie

HookLineSilkie Songster

Oct 28, 2019
    San Martin, CA
    I just want to know if this is a bad sign or normal! Aaaah! Lol!

5. HookLineSilkie

HookLineSilkie Songster

Oct 28, 2019
    San Martin, CA
    I just hope I’m not staring at dead eggs but, yes, I suppose you’re right.

6. Skippersnh

Skippersnh Songster

Oct 14, 2019
    normal, i couldnt see movement no matter how long a stared at the eggs my first time hatching thats why i candled i also checked for internal pips when i candled

Brigitt and HookLineSilkie like this.
  7. HookLineSilkie

HookLineSilkie Songster

Oct 28, 2019
    San Martin, CA
    Thank you! I feel better. I’m going to go distract myself...

8. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    There's nothing you can do besides be patient and wait. I'd wait 48 hours after day 21 to make sure they all have a fair chance to hatch. Then the ones that don't hatch, do eggtopsies to see what is inside. Do it in a plastic ziplock bag so you can just discard the contents.

9. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I saw little to no movement after day 18 and got 21 chicks out of 30 eggs. I even had humidity issues so I'm positive that you'll get chicks by tomorrow!

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I recommend you do yourself a favor. Either sit on your hands or get another hobby for a few days. Nothing you can do will speed up the process or revive a dead embryo.
    Any damage was done at least 3 weeks prior to collecting eggs and during the 3 weeks of incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: