Eggs are seeping stuff?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PinkFlamingoFrm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have young chickens and recently started putting their eggs in the incubator. I saw the rooster doing his job a few times, so they should be fertile, but it seems like every egg that i put in the incubator ends up seeping some kind of gross gooey amber colored liquid. Does anyone know why it might be doing this? Im not sure if it is the eggs, or recent temperature change? or maybe an incubator problem. Ive hatched quite a few chicks out of the same incubator.. and its been cleaned in between every hatch.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If they are weeping/seeping/sappy - people seem to call it different things, that usually means they have a bacterial infection and the pressure is forcing the contents out of the egg and they are rotten, a lot of times they do smell. The Hatching Eggs 101 article from the BYC Learning Center has pictures of sappy eggs about half way down the page. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 Are they all doing this at the same time, or during different ages of incubation after they have started to develop? Do any of them hatch successfully?

3. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    thanks! no none of them have hatched since they started seeping stuff, and my hens quit laying at the same time, so i took a break from hatching. The hens started laying again the other day, so I sanitized all of the incubators again and put eggs in tonight.. Im hoping they make it..

4. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Good luck with your new hatch, hope all goes well.

5. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Is your rooster young as well? Maybe he hadn't reached his full fertility yet, even though he was seeing to his duties. I hope this hatch goes better for you. [​IMG]

6. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    thanks

7. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    yeah, hes young, but i had duck eggs that were from an older duck pair (ive hatched their eggs before) and they did the same thing. it was all of the eggs. Im 99% sure that the eggs are fertile, i swore i saw some veins the last time i candled, but my batteries were dying and it was a brown egg..so cant be 100% sure. guess time will tell with the new batch.
    thanks!! ill be candling in a few days & hoping to see some veins!! lol.

8. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I wonder if you had incubator problems, temp spikes or something, if it was all of the eggs? It was over more than one hatch? If you are cleaning between hatches, hopefully it isn't something contaminating the incubator, but even then you wouldn't expect them all to be bad at the same time. You haven't noticed any problems with the parent birds? There are some things that can be passed to the egg. This is an exotic website, but they cover some problems. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/eggs.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by