1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Arriving 3/20, any others out there?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ALJ77, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ALJ77

ALJ77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Hello all, first let me say that I have been an avid reader on BYC of most all the forums and feel I have gotten a wealth of information on how to best proceed with my new endeavor of raising chickens. Thanks to all of you for providing your life's experiences for people like me to make, hopefully as best as can be, the most informed decisions as possible!

With that said, my ultimate plan is to have between 6 to 8 hens, of which, 4 are coming in as baby chicks and 8 eggs. I'm going with 8 egg on the theory of a 50% hatch (factors of shipping and first time at attempting incubating myself). I Have a back up plan if all hatch, not to mentions any rosters that come out of the hatch, my sister and co-worker will take any that I am not prepared for, but tomorrow, the eggs are arriving (confirmed USPS tracking) from a farm in GA, 4 Cream Legbar and 4 Isbar eggs, I have the incubator all rdy, have been running and fine turning it over the past week and tonight will give it a final wipe down to as best as possible have it nice and clean.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The Baby chicks are scheduled to arrive between 4/9 - 4/10, they will be 2 Red Star (Golden Bluff), 1 EE and 1 [/FONT]Australorp.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My current set are due to hatch in a week. You better watch out, this hatching business is addictive! LOL Best of luck with your hatch and keep us posted.

3. ALJ77

ALJ77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Thanks Sumi, will keep all posted on my progress. I am very excited in this and have been doing a lot of reading on here and ready to put into practice what I have learned with hopes of a successful first hatch.

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I already have eggs going but I just had some shipped that are only 4 hours away to begin with so they should arrive pretty quick. I also have 2 different orders that are also suppose to ship today. ( Similar was not joking about that addictive thing. ;) .)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  5. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

My eggs are suppose to arrive tomorrow, the 20th [​IMG] I hatched a few eggs from my own hens to make sure the new LG was working properly and I hatched 3 out of 8. I lost one close egg because I unplugged the incubator with out realizing it.... [​IMG] I also was not to meticulous with my egg tending either. But I have some Sussex eggs and a few others on the way and am now eggcited and ready to get hatching

6. ALJ77

ALJ77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Sry to here bout your loss on your eggs mtnggrl, like u, I too m vry eggcited and can not wait for my eggs to arrive. I just found out from the farm I got the eggs from, they sent 4 extra eggs, oh jeez, now what, was only planning on incubating 8, now 12 are on the way....going to have to make roon in the incubator, maybe take out one of the rocks I have in there for a heat sink....

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    When you do the 7 day and 10 day candle you may cull some infertile eggs, then you can put the rocks back. Hopefully you won't need them! If the power does go off leave the incubator closed and don't touch the eggs until at least a day after they warmed up again. They can survive cooler temperatures for hours, as long as they don't get really cold (fridge cold) for too long.

8. ALJ77

ALJ77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Well today's the day, eggs have arrived at my local PO at 10:05, went to pick them up and from all that I could see with the box, all looked well and clearly marked fragile, this end up and such, was vry egg-cited and rushed home to carefully open my box of wonders [​IMG] Upon opening, all appeared to be well, I unwrapped each egg, candled them, of the 12, 3 have loose air sacks [​IMG] will leave them pointy side down and hoping the air cells will re-attach by the time I put them in the incubator around 9ish.

The below pic is of the eggs, on the left are the Cream Legbar's (1 of which has a un-attached air cells, and on the right are the Isbar's (2 here have un-attached air cells)

[​IMG]

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. ALJ77

ALJ77 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Thx for the links Sumi, wealth of info form them both, will put into pratice what I have read and learned hear for hopes of a successful hatch of all eggs! [​IMG]. Will update later on tonight when I set them in the bator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by