Eggs arriving today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Ok so my polish eggs should arrive today [​IMG] in tact im praying advise please please on the first steps what should i do to give them the best chance my first ever hatch was a disaster got to lockdown but then it all went wrong [​IMG] ,my incubator has been on for the last 24 hours it is sitting at 100f its pretty hot here in newzealand at the mo ,and humidity is at 35% all advise would be great
    many thanks
    nicola [​IMG]

2. ladyfaeden

ladyfaeden Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    St. Helens, Oregon
    I'm a newbie as well but setting eggs tonight as well and would love to follow along with you. I've set two other times but its been several years so I'm going to need to review how to do this. I've got silkie and sizzle eggs going in tonight and Swedish flower hens going in, in the morning.

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

set them in an egg carton big side up and let them sit till tonight, they need to rest for awhile. some may have detached air cells. and it any have poop on them rise them off in water only. i do that an have better hatch rates with shipped eggs. some people say dont wash them. but i found out after washing them i had less blood rings happen

4. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    For sure let them rest. If you are hot now, do you have the bator in a room that does not get much traffic, drafts, etc., more temp consistent? I put mine in a spare bedroom where the temp is more moderate and no one going in there pretty much but me. If your humidity is 35%, I would check with a hygrometer and maybe not add water unless it goes low as is easier to add it! Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If there is someone here who would like a copy of the hatching article from Practical poultry magazine, just pm me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

I wish everyone a great hatch ,

Rancher

6. ladyfaeden

ladyfaeden Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Thankyou! I'd forgotten about letting them sit. I have another question-It looks like the seller used a permanent marker to mark the eggs. Is that okay?

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

it should be fine. but that kind of marker can harm eggs. hopfully its just washable marker. but they should be ok

8. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    What I do with my newly shipped eggs, is to let them sit at room temp for 24 hours, 8 hours minimum before setting them in my incubator. They have been on a bumpy ride, so things are kinda mixed up in the eggs and need to settle before actually starting to develope.
    I have a still air, so I set them at the coolest part of my incubator so they dont heat up too quickly and I do NOT turn them until after 24 hours. After 24 hours of setting, I move them to the center by the thermometer which reads 101.3, turn them more than 3 times a day and dry incubate until the 18th day when they go in lockdown. Then I raise the humidity to 60%.
    Yes, you can definately wash them, but be very gentile as you could take the protective coating off. Cooler water seems to keep that coating on.
    I have an excellent hatch rate. So I figured I would share my info with you. I hope it helps. Loool, my brother brought me several dozen eggs for eating, from one of his co workers. I cracked one open in the morning to cook, saw the bullseye, and realized they were fertile. I ended up setting all the eggs in the incubator and came out with many breeds of chickens including some very beautiful feather legged bantams! All the eggs I had set hatched. The lady that my bro bought the eggs from though it was impossible for them to even develop since they have been in cold refrigerator temps for a long period of time, hot weather and every possible thing that could cause an egg to not develop. Just gotta have faith. Eggs are quite forgiving, IF the parent stock are healthy, fed right, young, and have good genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by