Eggs at day 26: advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackanory, May 2, 2016.

1. Quackanory

Quackanory Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    Hi all,

We're incubating our first ever hatch of six White Campbell duck eggs. The eggs were posted and all 6 developed into embryos. From what we've learned so far today should have been lock down day but we're concerned that the air cells are smaller than they should be. We're aware that this could be a humidity issue and have lowered the humidity to the ambient of 34% for the last few days with no effect. We've stopped turning today so the ducklings can get into hatching position but we're hesitant about raising the humidity just yet as when we candle last night there were no signs of internal pipping. All the embryos were moving though.

Should we up the humidity now or wait for signs of internal pipping? We're very worried about them drowning in the shells. Also we're worried about candling them now in case we disturb them so how would we know when to go into lock down?

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Quackanory

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    It's so scary just waiting with nothing happening, so scared they'll be DIS :/

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    What was your humidity at before lowering it?

4. Quackanory

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    Hi dotknott, we were aiming for 55% as we'd read that was best for duck eggs, we were struggling to reach that though so mostly it was between 45 and 50%.

We're in lockdown now as one of the eggs started rocking!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks at first as the movements are only slight, but it's definitely the egg!!

The humidity is up to 65% now and I've put in some paper towels soaked in warm water so hopefully it will rise some more.

This is so exciting!! & nerve-wracking!!

5. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Ha! I know what you mean about the Excitement + nerves!

I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity at this point, unless you start to see membranes drying out. keep a spray bottle around in case you need to intervene with some drying. Once you have the first hatch, you'll see the humidity jump up. So much so that you might not have much visibility through the viewing window, which is SOOO FRUSTRATING!

Keep an eye on those pips, and try to track when they actually pip (I keep a small note book for this.) That way I can look back and see how long it's been since pip. You will want to assist. I know this. Try not to. Keeping track of when pips happen can help you and the forums when you have the "OH NO! HE PIPPED A LONG TIME AGO, SHOULD I HELP?!" moment.

6. Quackanory

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    Thank you! The humidity is at 71%, I'll leave things alone now. Apart from staring at the eggs and babbling to them :) The egg that was rocking slightly seemed to respond to my voice! It's having a rest now, or maybe just covering its ears with its wings to drown me out!

I've read up on the assisted hatching and the main advice was leave them alone, it will be agony but we're going to let nature take it's course.

I can't sit still!!

Thank you again for your support, it's deeply appreciated x

7. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    If you get to 36hrs after pip (20hrs after a wrong end pip) and there's no sign of an unzip, then start to assist. That's my line in the sand. (Others may disagree, feel free to solicit advice from whomever you choose!) You're in for a few restless days, friend!

8. Quackanory

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    I know! I'm already on tenterhooks! Thank you for the timing advice, it's great to have a timescale to work to :) I'll be posting as soon as there's the slightest news, I can hardly contain myself as it is, so if we get near to those times I'll be sure to get advice.

The little fella has stopped rocking for a while, he must be tired out bless him (or her). He did wake up briefly when my daughter got home from work though and gave a little wobble for her, such a good little baby! I'm going to try to sleep for a few hours and give the ducklings a rest from me cooing at them :) x

9. Quackanory

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    A second egg just moved!!! x

10. Quackanory

Apr 27, 2016
    Uk
    Disaster this morning, the light bulb in the incubator exploded. We replaced it pretty quickly but of course we're worried about the sudden drop in temp and humidity.

Since then the second egg that I saw moving last night wiggled slightly mid morning but nothing since, and all the other eggs have been still. Very worrying :/

We have noticed something though. There's a faint shadow in the first egg that can be seen through the incubator. The incubator light must be having a slight candling effect. The line of the air cell is partially visible with a partial shadow moving just on the other side of it. I thought it was my eyes just playing tricks at first but my daughter saw it too.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

At least it's given us hope that something is happening in there but I'm also a little worried that it could have a harmful effect :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by