eggs at PO-does this count as resting time before incubation-help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Apr 23, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I got a call just now from my small town PO...thats one of my shipments arrived-It's 9am-I cannot pick them up until 5pm-thats 8 hours--can I count this time as a resting period before starting incubation? I would put them in my bator before bed around 10pm? Or should I just pick them up unwrap them all when I get home and put in bator in am? experts please?? I have 2-3 other shipments coming tomorrow or the next day too-kinda wanted staggered for a day or so to be able to pull hatchlings out to brooder to make room for others to hatch!?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    anyone know or care to answer??

3. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    It could count as resting time. I would pick them up tonight and wait till tomorrow am to set them

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I would count it as resting time absolutely. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my lack of patience! good luck!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    tomorrow huh? oookkkaaayyyyy [​IMG] I dont know what my hurry is to get them in the bator!!! I thought 11 hours would be enough then bator-no huh?? ooookkkaaaayyyyy [​IMG]

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't count it as resting time as the box might be upside down or on it's side. We start counting when they get home and are unwrapped and in the egg tray.

Steve in NC

7. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Resting them is to get them up to room temperature.

Depending on your post office they could be inside the office keeping warm, or out on the back loading docks close to freezing. (I know my post office is the latter).

If they are indoors, I would think that it would be OK to set them when you get home.... But that's just my 2 cents.

8. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    resting time is for 2 reasons

1. to give them time to get to room temp so the shell doesnot crack from sudden expansion in the incubator

2. to allow the air sac time to set back in its proper location after a lot of movement. Eggs generally are not moved this much by the birds that lay them, and are not designed to travel well. Air sacks can get scrambled during transit, and since air weighs less, ti rises (sitting the eggs big end up helps) and settles in the best place more often than not.

How do you know your post office has the box setting right-side up? How do you know the folks that sent you the eggs packaged them big-end up?

It is best for the eggs to be a couple hours more patient, if you can handle it! It would improve your hatch rate...or not. sometimes eggs are tough, sometimes fragile.

Good luck!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    well-I know my post office ladies and they are very excited about the eggs-never had to deal with them before-so I told them where to keep them and how not to handle them-they are in her office-68 degrees-untouched since 8-9 am and waiting for me at 5pm--Love my small town -sometimes!!! hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by