eggs been at room temp for about 2 weeks, are they still good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oodymex, Jan 5, 2009.

1. oodymex

oodymex Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    my brother has had 19 eggs from our chickens in his room for about 2 weeks now (i had no idea he had them until he decided to ask me wat to do with them) can they still be incubated? put under a hen? or even eaten?..... thanks alot! [​IMG]

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    They can definitely be incubated. The hatch rate may be compromised after 14 days but I have hatched many eggs after 14 days. Hen or incuator no difference. It depends a lot on the temp while they were in the room. No harm in trying. Eating them? I dont know it is a long time. I doubt if it would make anyone ill especially if you cooked them well, but it would freak me out a little bit knowing they were at room temp for two weeks. I have left mine on the counter for a few days and have eaten them but never sold them that old. 2 weeks yikes

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    yes, you can eat them for another couple of weeks. I keep mine unrefrigerated on the counter, have for years, and have never had a problem. I don't wash them unless necessary so that the bloom is protected.

If they were washed with soap and water, I would use them for baking but use them up in the next couple of days, because washing makes the shell porous .....

4. oodymex

oodymex Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    wow thanks alot! appreciate it much! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    As long as they haven't been kept hot they should be fine to eat. At average room temp eggs age about the equivalent of 1 week in the fridge for every day on the counter. So the eggs would be equal to 14 weeks or 3.5months of sitting in the fridge and fresh eggs can still be edible for 6months or more refrigerated.

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Please say your brother is like...10... not like umm.. 25
    Why is he hoarding eggs?
    Yes you can incubate. I might not eat them, though
    Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by