Eggs being eaten by other hens

cowtown chick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I live in N.E. Tennessee
I think I have a problem, I've had 3 laying hens for the past couple of years, I just recently added a couple of pullets and a rooster. I no longer have any eggs. Today I went to the coop and saw an egg broken open and had obviously been eaten. Is there any way to break this habit? What should I do?

First post since joining in June...
I encountered the same problem a little over a month ago.
I reintroduced the 2 fake eggs i used when my pullets first began to lay.
I started by putting them in the nesting boxes. I then took one of the fakes and walked around the run and dropped it on the ground. Immediately all 6 hens ran over and began pecking the fake egg. Within a minute or 2 they lost interest. I did this several times during the week. After the 3rd time, my hens paid no attention to the egg after i dropped it. I now leave the 2 fake eggs in the nest boxes and have not had any more eggs eaten.
Hope this helps.

First post since joining in June...
I encountered the same problem a little over a month ago.
I reintroduced the 2 fake eggs i used when my pullets first began to lay.
I started by putting them in the nesting boxes. I then took one of the fakes and walked around the run and dropped it on the ground. Immediately all 6 hens ran over and began pecking the fake egg. Within a minute or 2 they lost interest. I did this several times during the week. After the 3rd time, my hens paid no attention to the egg after i dropped it. I now leave the 2 fake eggs in the nest boxes and have not had any more eggs eaten.
Hope this helps.
@BigV This is a great post and idea!!
Thanks so much for posting it, just makes so much sense!!
Hope you don't mind if I paste your text to my notes and share it.

Get about three eggs, poke a tiny hole and empty the eggs out with a syringe, then fill the egg up with mustard. Do it a couple times, and they'll start not wanting to eat the eggs. They hate mustard.
@PerfectPlumage Yeah...I think that mostly just makes a mess.
I've read some like mustard just fine......have you actually had this work successfully?

Last edited:
Nice idea on the mustard. My rule....chicken eats eggs..... I eat chicken.

I have no Egg eaters at the moment ;)

ok, so I got the fake eggs and put them in the nesting boxes, and i've dropped one in the floor of the coop. My hens haven't laid any eggs that I know of in about 3 weeks, I know egg production slows down in the winter, but I'm also wondering if because of the new hens it may have interrupted their routine a bit and not laying because of it. Any thoughts?

ok, so I got the fake eggs and put them in the nesting boxes, and i've dropped one in the floor of the coop. My hens haven't laid any eggs that I know of in about 3 weeks, I know egg production slows down in the winter, but I'm also wondering if because of the new hens it may have interrupted their routine a bit and not laying because of it. Any thoughts?
Your older hens are probably molting, or getting ready to.
Are the pullets old enough to lay?
If you free range, they may be laying out int he range area,
coop them up for a week to see if they are in fact laying and to habituate them to laying in the coop nests.

Back
Top Bottom