Eggs blocked?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roxannemc, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    First problem Ive had with a grown hen...
    She has been standing around for a couple days doesnt look ill but not active comb looks red but like shes trying to concentrate on something seems like today her muscles were contracting and sure enough later there was a long line of poo strung out about 6-8 inches long hanging there !(sorry)
    But seems like she still was trying to get more out so I put a glove on and pulled it and the rest came out. The poo looked ok but did have some white spots like crumbs of something in there unless it was white gravel dust.
    This is ALL45 minutes ago She was still standing there the same when I came in .... so do you think she was constipated and blocked up her eggs so they couldn't come out.?Now she is trying to get them out?
    I picked her up felt underneath her didn't feel hard.
    I did put the finger of the glove with a little olive oil on it inside her about one inch hope to help it along but maybe didn't put it far enough in.NOt sure
    HAte to mess with her until she has a chance to rectify it herself now
    She free ranges and they lay eggs everyplace but didn't see many today of 5 girls laying just saw 3 eggs but there are a lot of bushes and ornamental grass in the yard andsometims they go in with the poor broody hen and lay them by her clutch .
    Have no idea what too do now .
    She did drink some water earlier before the poo came out.
    Anyone? ideas what to do?
    One of my favorites of course! [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have had broody hens who have had the most gigantic of poos, but I don't think one has ever been that long.

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Yeah why I think she was blocked Don't know her from her sisters but 2 are grazing normally and one is setting on eggs.so...guess things are back to normal.

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Not to be gross but it hung down below her butt. fro m her vent. Looked like my dogs not a bird.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: