Egg's Bloom

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catterbug, Nov 22, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    Ok so I am one of those that doesn't wash my eggs unless they are really dirty and I don't do that until I go to use them. However I do put my eggs in the frig. So I got thinking today that does the act of putting them in the frig kill the bloom. I do not wash them so that I keep the bloom in tack. I have only had chickens for a few months now and they have only been laying for a few weeks. Also does it matter if I do try and keep the bloom alive?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mother Earth News did a study for a year on different ways to store eggs and unwashed ,fertile or unfertile refrigerated lasted the longest.

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    As I understand it, the bloom is not "alive" it's just a protective layer that aides in protecting the porousness of the shell from invasion. I don't think refrigeration will hurt it.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup, this is my impression.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The bloom also helps keep moisture from evaporating out of the egg, which increases the size of the air cell.

If I collect an occasional dirty egg that needs to be washed before it goes in the frig, I just put it in the rotation to be used sooner, instead of last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by