1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs breaking & cracking and my hens are eating the eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cfish, Apr 1, 2013.

1. cfish

cfish New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    I've had my chickens for 2 weeks now, my hens are either cracking or eating the eggs..not sure what to do, calcuim ?

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    They're probably egg eaters. Not good! Figure out which on is doing it and separate her from the flock. It could be several of them. It's contagious I guess you could say.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. flytie

flytie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    New Jersey
    In my experience, and from what others have told me, it's either you have to find some way to get her to stop, or off to the butcher she goes.
    I have little advice but to say seperate her, or hope you get to collect your eggs fast enough.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, cfish, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Sorry to hear about your eggs being cracked. One other option is to provide with a laying box designed at a slight angle. When the chicken lay the egg it rolls forward into a covered area safe away from pecking. Hope you can solve the problem. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It's nasty habbit and very contagious meaning the other hens will end up copying her behavior. I don't know if I've ever read of someone actually curing a hen of doing this.

6. ozarkchicks

ozarkchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    a nest box with a slant is what I've found to work, it hides and protects the egg from the hen, [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    that works IF the hen actually lays them in the nest box, and not in the run or under a bush, or their other hidey holes. They are devious

8. ozarkchicks

ozarkchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    that's true, for the slanting nest box to work then the hens will have to lay in the nest boxes, luckily I don't have any egg eaters and they lay in their nest boxes

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    I would go with the nest box that rolls the eggs away from the chicken.

10. Fentressfarmer

Fentressfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Fentress Texas
    If your shells are weak you may want to give them some oyster shell. It helps my girls when the shells start getting weak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by