Eggs breaking

polishserb

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Well I've finally got about 3 eggs from the 15 BRs. Chickens are scratching the hay out of the nesting box. Two of the three eggs were in the box and cracked. The third was laid by their food. Not sure how to keep the hay in or how to prevent the cracking. They get oyster shells so I'm not sure that's the problem. Any suggestions appreciated. How to keep from cracking, how to keep hay in, and was the egg by the food an "accident"? Thanks

How high is the lip on your nest? When I had a problem with them scratching out fake eggs and the nesting material I raised the lip a few inches. Problem solved.

The one by the food was probably an accident. That’s pretty normal when they first start to lay. It’s like they don’t know what is going on and just drop it wherever they happen to be. Once they learn to control the process they’ll look for a safe place to lay the egg.

If the egg shows up every day in the same spot, that pullet has decided that is a safe place to lay. But just once with the first egg, most likely an accident.

I would say about three to four inche lip on the box. Might have to go higher. Yet. Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom