eggs by mail-do you turn them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmbwholesale, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jmbwholesale

jmbwholesale Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    Hi guys, when you get eggs by mail, they say to let them rest 24 hours before incubating, but there's no mention if you need to turn them, just that you sit them small end down. I was watching a video on YouTube and the guy said to turn them over, so I'm confused. They were in a carton and he shows turning the carton upside down. Is that right? Don't you leave them alone for 24 hours at 70 degrees? I'm lost. Help!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I leave mine alone for the 24 hours

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Great advice!!!!!

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I don't think you should ever turn a carton of hatching eggs upside down. They should always rest with air cells up for that 24 hour resting period. That is to give the air cells time to settle if they are damaged during shipping (which happens quite often), so turning them would negate the "resting" effect.

5. jmbwholesale

jmbwholesale Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    Most all of the articles I've read and studied said just that (leave them to rest) except that one video. He gently turned that carton over so the pointy end would be up and I actually cringed. I immediately came here to ask. There is disinformation in this world and this might be or maybe this method works for this guy, who knows.if you want to see this video, it's on YouTube. Enter "all about hatching/raising chicks part 1 of 2, "and "all about hatching/raising chicks part 2." By grayfoxthe5th. I'm just glad I put my eBay bought silkie eggs in the hova bator after letting them sit undisturbed in a 70 degree room for 24 hours. I have a digital thermometer hygromoter coming and a water worm to use to get readings for inside egg temps. This is all new to me but I've put a ton of time into studying everything I can about incubation eggs. a ton of money, too. :). It's worth it to me for the enjoyment factor. My husband passed away in Dec. 2012 and for a year and a half, I was just on auto pilot. Around Ester, I was lonely. I went to the hardware/feed store/greenhouse to look at plants and flowers, but I walked in the feed store by accident. There to my right was a huge brooder box full of several colors of chicks. Not unnatural colors, just different breeds. One batch had a sign that said, these birds are not available at the 6 for $10. Price. Another sign said $3.50 each or 6/$10. Well, I bought 6. The guy asked me which ones do you want and I said give me an assortment. I got 2 yellow, 2 brown, and 2 really dark ones. The yellow wines turned out to be white with black on the back of their necks, the browns are now 2 reddish orhingtons, and one of the dark ones still is, the other is black and white and looks gray at a distance. The 2 white ones are roosters I think, and one orphington is a room. So, 3 girls and 3 boys. I'm rambling on... now I'm trying my hand at incubating. Have a great day!

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Aww, cute story of how you got into chickens! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your first batch of eggs! :)

P.S. That YouTube guy sounds crazy if you ask me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by