1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs changing color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cposz, Dec 26, 2009.

1. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    We have 2 RSL and 2 BO hens - all layers of brown eggs. When the BO pullets first started laying, their eggs were lighter in color, almost a pinkinsh color. They still are slightly different than the standard brown eggs laid by our RSL.
    But the for the past 3 days, one of our BO pullets has been laying eggs that are very, very light in color - almost white. They never used to be that light-colored.
    What could account for this? (Today's light-colored egg is a little pointy, too, it seems!)

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sure what causes it, but we have the same thing happen here. The girls eggs start out a nice shade of brown and as they reach the end of a laying cycle, they get lighter in color.
    As it's been going on for almost two years now, I don't worry about it.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Over time, as they approach the molt, the eggs become lighter in color. After a break from laying, they'll darken up again, most likely.

4. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    This egg is from one of my 8-month old pullets. Can she be ready to molt already?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by