Eggs chirping and moving

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken_neighbour, Sep 14, 2011.

1. chicken_neighbour

chicken_neighbour Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    How long from the eggs calling and moving do they normally pip? My neighbour has been incubating eggs for 21 days now and upon checking them today with candeling machine (I only just managed to go today to check them) all the clutch but two were 'bad' eggs. 1 deffinately moved whilst being candeled and the other one we not 100% sure but think we did see some movement.

We have been clucking to the eggs today and atleast one soon started to call back to us. The same egg then started to rock and twitch frequently, we have been clucking to it for over 4 hours and it still hasnt pipped. How long does it normally take? Should we be worried?

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  3. chicken_neighbour

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:Thanks Pete how long should it take before they externally pip?

4. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    It should be imminent. Are you sure it hasnt externally pipped on the underside of the egg???

5. chicken_neighbour

Sep 14, 2011
    I dont think so but not 100% sure but the chirping hasnt got any louder??

6. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    The chirping doesnt really get much louder until they're about to hatch and then they vocalise a little more. Try to be patientand best of luck.

Got to go and put my geese away as its twilight and just the time for foxes to take there chance!!!

Pete [​IMG]

7. chicken_neighbour

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks again pete.... as my name says I am only the neighbour to the person who has them I was there for four and a half hours today clucking to them and watching them so they may have done something since I have come back home (but doubt it as neighbour said they will call me back round when they pip) Really hope she gets atleast one chick as she has two young children really looking forward to seeing chicks [​IMG] and I am just as excited lol

8. chicken_neighbour

Sep 14, 2011
    ok just youtubed how they are meant to sound inside the egg... its meant to be more of a cheep but the eggs I have been listening to (unless it was the incubator making the noise) make more of a long drawn out cluck like a 'buzz' noise its really hard to explain ?????? Im confused!!!!

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Yay! Good luck with your hatch! Pictures when they hatch! [​IMG]

10. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Quote:Oh goodness, you have been clucking at it for four hours? I mean, I have the same kind of behavior when I have eggs hatching, but I realize why my friends think I am a nutcase when I think about laying in the floor clucking at hatching eggs for four hours. Good luck with your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by