Eggs chirping at day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pair-a-dice, Jul 27, 2013.

1. pair-a-dice

pair-a-dice Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    I have my bantam eggs in the incubator. Today is day 18. I took the turner out about an hour ago, and now some one is chirping. I don't know what to do. Do I put them back in the turner? Or just leave them?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Leave them alone. Chirping means they're getting ready to hatch. Leave the incubator closed. Step away from the incubator. [​IMG]

3. pair-a-dice

pair-a-dice Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    So it's ok that the eggs have only been laying on their side for a few hours?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes. Peeping eggs means hatching will start within a few hours or up to a day or two. It's time to close the lid on the incubator so the humidity can stabilize and leave them alone.

5. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    They'll do fine just don't you ever touch the bator again and never ever open it while they are hatching or they'll get stuck in the eggs.... when they all hatch you can take them to the brooder.. chicks do jist fine for 2 days after hatching woth no food or water... they depend on the yolk they absorbed... only heat.... they'll do just fine now just watch them tomorrow how they hatch or even today... but most likely tomorrow.... and don't rush and say that he's stuck if he pips the shell and stays like that for many many hours.... sometimes up to 24 hours or more no movement after the first pip.... then in a sudden they hatch soo quickly in few minutes.. that happened in front of me!! ;)
    Good luck and jeep us posted with lots and lots of pics...

6. ChickensAmongUs

ChickensAmongUs In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    yeah..the chirping is totally normal right before they hatch...because now their beaks are in the air cell, breathing air for the first time and now they can chirp!!

the chirping is not only normal, its GOOD....nothing to worry about

you DONT TURN at this point...its not needed anymore, and can only confuse the chick by turning the egg now...his beak is pointed up and ready to pip and hatch..if u start turning now, you might get him pointed down and disoriented...and he has a tough job ahead of him already to get himself hatched

so just leave those eggs ALONE like everyone is telling you....DONT OPEN THE INCUBATOR...your humidity should be high right now...like 65-70%, even higher is OK...if it is below 60, I would be trying to get it higher now, before they start to hatch, which could happen at any time....

the way I did that WITHOUT opening the incubator, is i taped a straw to the end of a funnel, and stuck the straw thru the air holes in the top of the bator, and aimed the straw, and poured a little bit of warm water into the funnel, and thru the straw and into the channels on the bottom of the bator, to make sure they are all full

so right now, make sure your temp and humidity are good...DONT OPEN the bator...and just WAIT and let them hatch..let us know how it's going!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: