Eggs chirping.....how long

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sara_Georgia, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Sara_Georgia

Sara_Georgia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    I have a frizzle hen setting on 5 eggs. It's been a little over 21 days. I found her sitting in the barn and I moved her to a little pen, so I'm not exact on the days. But, I'm sure it's over 21. Today I picked up one of the eggs and I heard it chirping and I think I felt it moving. How much longer do you think it will be? What should I do when they start to hatch?
    Thanks, Sara

2. Sara_Georgia

Apr 11, 2008
    Anybody out there?!?![​IMG]

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:It could be anywhere from a couple hours to another day or two, depending on when they pip. When they start to hatch just leave them alone and let them do it themselves. Good luck on a great hatch [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    She will know when they are due to hatch out...Just keep the chick starter/Grower ready in a feeder and the water (make sure they can't drown in the waterer)...she will do the rest if your wanting her to take care of them....she will keep them warm...

Just takes time and patience for them to hatch out...could have been a day or two off on when the eggs were laid by her or when you set them under her...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  5. Sara_Georgia

Apr 11, 2008
    When they hatch can I move them into a small brooder untill they can go into a larger brooder? The pen I have her in is to small for her to "raise" them in. We are supposed to start building more pens this week.
    Thanks, Sara:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by