1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs come tomorrow and temp swings! Advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gypsygirl1421, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I have turkey eggs coming tomorrow and built a bator based on plans I found here. It's the styrofoam cooler model. The problem is once it reaches 100 degrees, and the bulb goes off, the temp falls to 92 before the hot water thermostat turns it on again. How do I fix this?

2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I just built one myself this week. Do you have a lot of vents??? also is it in a drafty area, i had to move mine cause my DH opened the window nearby, also how is your thermostat set up?? mine is fluctuating between 99 and 101.
    Good luck
    Ayda

3. gypsygirl1421

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    My thermostat is wired to the lamp kit, with the back of the stat facing the light bulb but about 2 inches away. I do not have a fan but am considering installing one. Do you mean that more ventilation may help? I do have holes in top but can add more. Thanks for the help!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You need to put some eggs in there and THEN regulate. Get some out of the fridge or from your coop.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A hot water thermostat has around a 6 degree swing. Another BYC member made one work but I don't remember how she did it. I will PM you.

6. gypsygirl1421

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    Ah, hadn't thought of adding eggs! I did install a fan and put the water in. The temp still swung a bit, from 102 to 96. It is a very thick walled cooler so when the light does shut off, it holds the temp for a long time. Its a 40 watt light bulb and the cooler is 20" wide by 12" deep. I did read about someone who drilled holes in the their thermostat which helped the swing as it let the air in to the needle, but mine didn't have screws so I would have to pry the whole back off and was afraid of breaking it. I did open up the back a bit with a screwdriver. I tried facing the fan so it blew right at the thermostat, but that didn't help much either. The only other thing I can think to try is to put enough holes in the cooler so that it stablizes right at 100. Luckily, the eggs (turkey) are a day late, of course, with it being 95 yesterday, god only knows where they sat all day yesterday and if they even will hatch at this point. I am going to put a few chicken eggs in a few days later to try to get a hatch on the same day, as I have had turkey poults before that seemed not to figure out how to eat. This is my first attempt at incubating myself, I already used up all my broody hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by