Eggs coming out of my eyeballs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandelyn, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Chipmunk, a 2 year old D'Anver hen, started laying about a month ago, a month after I got her. The other 4 girls, were all pullets. The oldest, Prissy, I thought was going to start next.

Turned out one of the game hens was to be 2nd, she laid her first 4 days ago, and has laid another one since then. Prissy laid her first today! Teeny little thing too.

It's funny how they do the nesting thing. Chipmunk is the only one who sings about it. The other two, Jibbers the rooster does it for them. They swap nests and steal eggs too!! Jibbers has been giving "attentions" to all of them, so the other two should start soon.

I went out to get Chipmunk's egg 4 days ago, and a game was sitting on it. Took it, came back later. Chipmunk was sitting on the game's first egg. Game laid again, the BABY was sitting on it! Prissy laid today, found the baby sitting on it. So the baby may be next! She either has a very high pitched voice, or her voice isn't even done changing yet from peep to bawk. She doesn't look fully feathered either, tail is still short and thin. What the heck is the baby doing on the nest, two days in a row now, if she's not done growing?? She's sat on everyone's egg, but hasn't laid her own yet.

Prissy and the game hen lay without ceremony. No song, minimal pacing, don't set long, they just go in, pop it out, and leave! Prissy laid in her own place too, so I added an additional nesting box. She put it on top of the egg "room" instead of in it! And the baby found it and comandeered it!

Silly girls. They keep this up, and I'll have eggs coming out of my eyeballs! Rooster is beyond himself, he's very busy keeping watch on the girls outside, checking on the girls on the nest, making sure everyone is fed, bred, and where they need to be. I think 5 girls is his max!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    At least it isn't a bad thing! Still, it can get a bit hard to fit them in the fridge after a while!

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The baby DID lay! I went back out there and she put it in Prissy's spot on top of the nesting area. Even smaller than Prissy's! Quail sized for sure.

So that's 4 of 5, one standard game hen left to start. Fridge shouldn't get too full... takes 2/3 of the little ones to equal one big one.

I wonder if it's because of the extra special treats today and yesterday? Cantalope, yogurt, with a sprinkle of shelled sunflower seeds. Spoiled things!

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Just search the internet for a 10-egg poundcake recipe... who cares about sugar and cholesterol![​IMG]

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We had 7 dozen in the fridge yesterday! Sometimes its hard to keep up with all the eggs we get and we only have 6 layers! Of course we have 5 ducks that lay too but still. We cooking/baking/selling and doing everything we can with eggs.

Laurie

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Just search the internet for a 10-egg poundcake recipe... who cares about sugar and cholesterol![​IMG]

I don't care! That's a good idea!

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Congrats on all the eggs [​IMG]

8. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Yep Yep I hear ya Im getting 13 a day and not everyone is laying yet. Its a good thing having a Fire Dept to sell them at [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by