Eggs coming today and hen stopped being broody!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adoptapitbull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. adoptapitbull

adoptapitbull Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    I bought some hatching eggs on here on Friday eve. I had planned to put them under a broody hen when they arrive today. As nature would have it, my broody hen decided to stop being broody on Saturday. Figures, right?

I have one hen who just hatched 5 chicks, and one hen who is setting on 6 eggs due to hatch this Sunday. When I get the new eggs, can I place them under the hen with eggs and give her chicks to the other momma when they hatch, so that she can still set on the eggs that need more time? I know she won't continue to set once she starts hatching chicks, and I don't want to waste these new eggs. She is in good condition, not thin at all, and I have seen her go drink water and eat feed while she's setting. Would letting her set for 2 extra weeks hurt? Would momma hen #1 accept the chicks so long as I integrate them at night?

I don't have an incubator and would really like to hatch eggs naturally.

2. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    i think you could send me the eggs i have two broodys janie:lol:[​IMG]

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I had exactly the same thing happen with my broody last week! She is happily running around the coop doing the 'momma talk' but won't get on the nesting box after being firmly attached before [​IMG]

I think you could safely put the eggs under the other broody for a couple more weeks. Just keep an eye on her. THe weather is not bad at the moment so you don't have to worry about her getting too cold or hot either.

4. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:LOL! Me too!

5. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    Quote:LOL! Me too!

me too and i live closer, but i can loan you one or both if you live close:D

6. adoptapitbull

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    I wish I could borrow a broody!

The eggs did not arrive today. They should come tomorrow. Hopefully someone will be "in the mood" in the next 24 hours!

7. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    where are you at in wv? i'm not too far from uniontown pa

8. adoptapitbull

Sep 21, 2011
    Eastern WV
    I'm in the eastern panhandle. I know that my in-laws live in Monessen, PA and it takes them 3 hours to get here, so I'm assuming it's a bit of a hike!

9. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    thats about half an hour from me, i'm an hour from morgantown
    too bad, i have two that have been sitting for about two weeks, just after i got two more to quit sitting, these two decided it was their turn lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by