Eggs coming VERY soon or just soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Aug 22, 2014.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have no squatters yet. My chickens are about 18 weeks old. I have 4 buff orpingtons [​IMG] Two Light Brahmas,[​IMG] , 3 Black Australorps [​IMG] One Easter Egger Rooster who is black/purple/orange, Two Easter Eggers similar to this white/grey/black hen [​IMG] and one red EE rooster who is dominant.
    [​IMG]
    I have several orps who are getting red faces and a couple of the BAs are getting red in the face as well. Tonight, I heard a commotion in the coop and apparently Mr. Red is getting "frisky" with a BA.

Does that mean eggs are on it's way or is he just a horny teenager? No one is squatting but they aren't overly friendly. The BOs are always the first to come running for me but do not come right up to me. We still have to get their henhouse in order! Yikes!

Anyone?!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's just a horny teen - your pullets are in great condition but no where near point of lay.

3. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Some of the BA's look pretty red. I'm guessing its just the rooster who has just decided he is mature. I'm no expert and can't compete with someone who has 40,600 posts on this site. But since I'm waiting impatiently for eggs too, I reject the "no where near POL" comment and am sure they will lay SOON. Whenever that may be. lol

1 person likes this.
  4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Mine started squatting and getting red in the face. Then they started singing. But the real "Almost there!" time was when they started scratching around in the nest box.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yeah, if they had a nest box to scratch around in yet it might help! We are VERY slowly getting a coop set up (to replace the one you kinda see in the picture). That is why I'm so nervous about them perhaps getting 'ready' sooner than later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by