Eggs compared - store vs homegrown!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by watchdogps, Sep 29, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I don't think I need to tell you which one came from my hen and which one came from the grocery store. The somewhat surprising thing is that the grocery one is one of the brown, cage free, expensive eggs...
    [​IMG]

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I remember the first time we got fresh eggs from a friend who had chickens. When I cracked the first one I was like, "WHOA!!! This thing look radioactive!" It was so bright and red-orange, it was crazy. I'd never seen anything like it before. [​IMG]

3. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I did the same comparison after getting some eggs from the hens!!

[​IMG]

*they are in a clear glass bowl LOL

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think you will find that cagefree, organic, free range, and all those others are just marketing terms and they do not come close to comparing to our chickens that actually get to chase grasshoppers and scratch for those creepy crawlies. I'll take ours over anything that comes from the store.

6. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    I used to prefer my (store) eggs over-medium. Since my chickens are now laying and I'm spoiled, I've taken to sunny-side up, baby! [​IMG]

7. BirdEggs

BirdEggs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Central Mass
    I was so happy when my girls started laying that I no longer had to buy the eggs from the store! I'm worried now about what will happen in winter or when they molt. I don't want to go back to store bought eggs! The eggs another member described as tasting of chicken sadness! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by