eggs contaminated with salmonella (news article)

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
FDA Wants a Safer Egg

I'm not sure where this belongs as its todays buzz and wanted to share and recieve comments on your opinion on the handling, illness' etc of the market place eggs. (especially concerned with Arthritis' as I have a few different types of arthritis)
We all know laws need to be in effect, but are these laws falling on deaf ears? It can happen to us, the salmonella, is this different from the tested NPIP birds...? (I do understand the difference, but as a learning tool, and NPIP cerified testers share with us) Thanks!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/fda_egg.html

September 22, 2004
The Food and Drug Administration is proposing new rules to make eggs safer. It's proposing new regulations that it says will significantly reduce the amount of illness caused by eggs contaminated with salmonella.

An estimated 118,000 illnesses per year are caused by consumption of contaminated eggs. If an individual eats a salmonella-contaminated egg that is not fully cooked, it can cause mild to severe gastrointestinal illness and short-term or chronic arthritis. In rare cases, it can be fatal.

"The implementation of the provisions of this rule would reduce the number of salmonella-related illnesses by 33,500," said Acting Commissioner Dr. Lester M. Crawford. "This action builds upon the safe consumer handling labeling and egg refrigeration and retail rule of 2000."

The proposed regulation would require implementation of salmonella prevention measures for all egg producers with 3,000 or more laying hens that produce shell eggs for retail sale and do not process their eggs with a treatment, such as pasteurization, to ensure their safety. The proposed rule's salmonella prevention measures include new requirements for refrigeration of eggs at the farm, and new procedures for cleaning of poultry houses.

FDA says it believes the proposed measures will reduce salmonella prevalence in the poultry house environment and consequently in the eggs themselves. Most salmonella contamination of eggs is a result of salmonella infection in the laying hen's reproductive tract.

To fully implement this proposed rule will cost an estimated $82 million annually for the more than 4,100 farms that have 3,000 or more hens. The actual cost will vary with the number of poultry houses and layers under production and will range from a low of 19 cents per layer to $1.00 per layer per year.

While the proposal focuses primarily on the farm, FDA said it is aware of illnesses and outbreaks associated with serving undercooked eggs at retail establishments, and is also soliciting comment on whether to propose potential retail establishment requirements to address their concern.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/fda_egg.html#ixzz0Kfivy9qp&D

I wouldn't think that would affect many BYCrs. In MN new laws state that to sell eggs at farmers markets they have to be processed pretty much as in the supermarkets. As I understand it eggs will have to be graded, washed, packaged in a carton with your name on it, dated and mechanically refrigerated. It's all do-able but hardly worth all the trouble.

Our society is getting more and more paranoid. Eggs are naturally protected and washing them sometimes forces germs right through the porus shell. The govt. overlooks this. Plus I read that salmonella (inside the egg) only occurs naturally in a minute number of eggs. I feel safer eating my own eggs without any chemicals as opposed to those chemically treated eggs from a store.

Last edited:
Making our case for us in so many ways. Organic eggs are lower in cholesterol, higher in protein and like the previous poster says, eating eggs from chemical-free birds makes for healthier folks. My friends say they can get eggs for $1 at the grocer and I say yeah, but do you know what kind of crap went into the bird that laid that egg. Save the $1 somewhere else and stay healthy. Thanks for sharing the article.

Quote:
Won't bother debating the cholesterol/protein claim but raising "organic" chickens doesn't mean those chickens couldn't be carrying Salmonella. Apples & oranges kind of comparison.

Quote:
Won't bother debating the cholesterol/protein claim but raising "organic" chickens doesn't mean those chickens couldn't be carrying Salmonella. Apples & oranges kind of comparison.

The only study I know of was one Mother Earth News did which indicated that eggs raised on pasture may contain 1/3 less cholesterol, etc. It's an interesting study to read. But the overview of it (link below) says nothing about organic. I haven't read this for a while so if you want more details you'll have to read up yourself:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx

Quote:

The only study I know of was one Mother Earth News did which indicated that eggs raised on pasture may contain 1/3 less cholesterol, etc. It's an interesting study to read. But the overview of it (link below) says nothing about organic. I haven't read this for a while so if you want more details you'll have to read up yourself:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx

ddawn I had only had just started skimming this article but it DOES look so interesting, thank you so much for sharing this...

This morning on one of the news channels it was brought up, so I went and looked up the health issues and this is one of the articles that I found.
I worry less about the quality of the eggs when they are mine or yours, only because you know that with the brighter yolk color it shows that they are rich in the omega-3's. A home grown cluckle berry is always a grade A. The firm yolk, color and the way the white stays round and true to the yolk. A egg from the store has been through travels, possibly washed with the same water ...my problem here, over and over again, allowing salmonella to grow in the wash water.
Its still amazing how little we all know about that perfect little prepackaged product! (giggle) But we all realize (on BYC anyways) how important it is to feed quality food to recieve a quality food.
Thanks for your opinions. I will check out that Mother Earth news at some point!

The CT State vet told me that Salmonella was a big concern for her
department and that rats were the biggest culprit. They walk and
urinate on eggs, thereby spreading the bacteria.

Rats are a big concern for us BYC folk. I just eliminated my rat problem
with a massive DCon attack.

Back
Top Bottom