Eggs cracked in Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FloridaGal, Aug 25, 2016.

1. FloridaGal

FloridaGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    It's the strangest thing. I have been lightly writing dates on the eggs the last week, before I put them into the refrigerator. Today I went to get two out of the bin, and two that were laid a week ago (they were side by side in the bin), had cracked lengthwise, from top to bottom! All the other ones were fine. Does anyone know why this would happen?
    Thanks.
    Julie

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes I put my eggs in the fridge and don't notice cracks in them. Being in the refrigerator a bit seems to highlight them and make them more apparent, especially tiny cracks, so that's probably what's going on with your eggs. Make sure your nest are well bedded, and you collect eggs often to avoid cracks. Some hens are just clumsy and can crack eggs as they mess around in the nestboxes.

3. FloridaGal

Apr 9, 2012
    Well, apparently those two eggs got too cold in the open egg bin, as when I broke them to clean out the bin, they were nearly frozen! I guess they were in a cold spot in the fridge. I have a nice covered bin I use, but what doesn't fit in there (it holds 18), I am now keeping out on the counter.
    Lesson learned!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My fridge will freeze stuff if it's pushed to the back. Glad you figured it out.

1 person likes this.
  5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I used to get frozen eggs out of the nest box during winter back up in Pennsylvania! Still edible.

6. FloridaGal

Apr 9, 2012
    That is good to know! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by