Eggs damaged in transit - patched up and fingers crossed! *Photos p5*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well... I just received some much anticipated hatching eggs, and unfortunately they didn't travel too well. Out of 20 eggs, only 9 arrived unscathed. One was smashed completely and four more were leaking goo. Another six were cracked but didn't seem to be too badly bashed. I figured if the membranes were intact that they were perhaps salvageable, so I've taken a chance and patched them up with candle wax. Time will tell...

A nasty sight:
    [​IMG]

One on the right: tossed. One on the left: patched up.
    [​IMG]

Fingers crossed for the walking wounded:
    [​IMG]

The person who sent me them said he wasn't sure what fertility would be like, as his roo is in the middle of a full-on moult. Having had the chance to examine half a dozen yolks, I now know that his fears are unfounded and fertility is looking very good. Lots of nice bullseyes in the burst eggs. I'm trying to see this as a good thing! [​IMG]

Wish me luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. chicken_neighbour

chicken_neighbour Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Good luck hope you manage to get some baby chicks!!! [​IMG]

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about the bad shipping. [​IMG] Good to hear fertility is ok. Now just have to make sure the rough handling didn't damage the salvageable ones too much. What breed are they?

4. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    I used candle wax on a badly shipped egg and its still alive and about to be put on lock down. Good luck!

5. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Well, the eggs were from a friend who sent me them completely free, and his birds are much better than mine so I'm just happy that he was kind enough to do that for me and I'm not too upset about the breakages. It's a pity, but with nine undamaged ones I'm sure I'll manage to get some nice chicks anyway. They're Marsh Daisies, mostly Browns (which is the colour I already keep) but also two eggs from Buffs, which I'm rather excited about.

6. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Thanks. I'll let you know how they all get on...

Quote:Whooo! That's GREAT news! Please come back and update me if it hatches out safe and sound. I hope it turns out okay!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    So sorry about the rough shipping. Lots of good luck with them & I really hope the repaired ones make it for you [​IMG] I've used candle wax three times now, one time successfully & the other times the embryos quit not long after [​IMG]

8. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, I've used it once before, unsuccessfully. That was on an egg that I fumbled while candling on day 10 though, so it's understandable the knock would have done real damage. I'm hoping that cause these ones hadn't even started developing when they got bashed up that there might be more chance for them.

That's them all washed and disinfected and patched up and set now. I let them rest for a couple of days so only got them started off last night. That would make lockdown the 10th of October and hatch day the 13th. We'll see how they all get on. Surprisingly, the intact ones all seem to have good air cells, so it looks like the package was just bashed once and not actually shaken around a lot.

I've also set two of my own eggs as well, as a control group. They're Marsh Daisy/Leghorn crosses. I'm expecting them both to hatch no problem...

9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Good luck on your hatch! [​IMG]

10. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Good Luck! I'd like to know how this turns out. When are you setting them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by