Eggs Day 21...18 of 23 Hatched/ Pics post 76 (Superglued a Chick!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Oct 26, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've mentioned that I put some Delawares in the bator for another BYC member, due to hatch Nov. 10. Set 26 Dels and 2 BBS Orps (for the heck of it). Candled tonight.
    A couple of them had shells that were hard to see through because of the markings on the shell itself so wasn't sure if they were veining or not. One seemed to be clear, but left them all in to be recandled in a few days. Smoky's (blue Orp) eggs are both developing, but may quit since she is still in her molt-that really affects hatchability, in my experience. The rest of the Delawares are veining nicely. Hopefully, this darn styrobator will perform as it should. If I have my doubts, I'll have DH bring up the Fridge-a-Bator from the bsmt, though I'd have to hand turn in that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Good luck! I'd been having definitely hatching problems lately, with way less than half developing close to full term. I've finished hatching to sell only last month, these are bantams for my own stock for spring (bought 25 chicks last fall and wouldn't you know I only had 7 hens--three of which didn't make their first year?) Every time I check the bator the temps are right on target. No idea what's going on.

Hope your hatch goes great! I have some due about that same time. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Heather, I am having issues with these styrobators more often then I used to and I'm really wanting something different. They require way too much tending and tweaking. Used to be, I'd have 85-100% hatches, and that's not the case lately. Instruments are great, no issues there, but the bator just doesn't hold heat steadily anymore or something. Not sure. Good luck with yours!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine hold heat just fine, and still I have bad hatches. I've never been able to hatch shipped chicken eggs very well, but I can hatch just about anything else. I guess I haven't figured out the 'trick' to hatching shipped chickens yet, guineas and quail are no problem for me. I'm still working on figuring out ducks too, I can't even hatch my own ducks' eggs very well. Almost all the eggs that I set start developing, but somewhere between day 13/14 and day 17/18, they quit [​IMG]

Good luck with your styrobator, wrap a quilt around it to keep it snuggly [​IMG]

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Good luck with the hatch, Cynthia. We will want to see pics of course. I hope you have the orps hatch...my preference right now. LOL

6. speckledhen

Thanks, Carrie. You have a new avatar! Nice!

You know, I notice that the styrofoam, since it forms to pressure, will have impressions and gouges where we place our hands lifting the lid, etc. I think that too much air may start getting in as time goes on and it can't maintain heat properly. I notice indentations that are larger than they used to be, edges are wearing down, etc. Could be some other reason, but can't think of what.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've thought about adding some weather-stripping to the lid of my LG, but I'm selling it anyway, so I don't care [​IMG] The hovabators seem to be working good, but they are relatively new still.

8. speckledhen

Mine are both Hovas, one with the older square corners and one my DH bought me three years ago. Both are circulated air.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

YAY! More hatch fun before winter hits! That little turtle surrogate is gonna be very busy. I love that picture! Good luck, Cyn!

10. speckledhen

They really love that turtle! In the last batch, there was one particular chick who was always climbing up on top, eyeing the edge of the brooder and making a huge jump (for a five day old chicks, LOL). Poor thing only got about 2 inches. They really seem to want a mother, it's so interesting. Wonder how many washes that turtle will last before I have to search for another one. Wish I could find a stuffed chicken with no strings or add-ons so it would be safe for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by