Eggs disappearing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JuJu55, Aug 15, 2010.

1. JuJu55

JuJu55 New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    We are knew to the chicken business, we have a question. I have been putting store bought eggs in my nests hoping to get the chicks to lay eggs in more than one nest. The last 6 eggs I have put out, marked and 2 at a time, have disappeared. Are the chickens eating them or do we have a snake in the coop? We see no signs of cracked shells and no signs of rats. 2 eggs also were in the nest and broken. Two separate occasions. Any suggestions?

2. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Definitely a snake.

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Only my experience...........
    Someone in the flock could be eating them........... I watched a hen put one down so quick I could not believe it. Shell and all.
    She no longer resides in our coop.........but we learned our real problem was squirrels.
    Little buggers, pick up whole egg and head for the hills..............or rats?????
    We do not have snakes here.........

4. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I'm gonna guess you have a chicken eating the eggs too. Once one opens an egg the rest of them will come get a bite also and devour the egg shell and all in no time. They like their own eggs as much as everyone else [​IMG] If you find the culprit I would get her out.

Chef

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    how often is it happening....I was missing some eggs from under my bantam hen last week, and it was a snake eating them....well he is gone, and my hen started hatching the remainder out today.....

6. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    If it is hens eating them, the nest will be wet or sticky. Sounds like a snake to me.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:I agree

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I don't know. I put golf balls in my nests and some of them are missing--I found them buried in the shavings under the nests. It may well be the chickens are kicking them out then they're getting broken and eaten. Check the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by