1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs disappearing....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paintedhorsegirl, May 13, 2011.

1. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    For about a week now I havent been getting many eggs, couldnt figure out why...then i noticed the remains of a 2 eggs...and the same again yesterday...It seems one of my hens are breaking the eggs and eating them before I get to pick them....how can I break this habit? Ive been told before once they start they dont usually stop by theres got to be a way....Any suggestions...?

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Do they have oyster shell?

Somtimes it could mean they need calcium, but if an egg gets broken (Stepped on, etc)
    They gobble it up - This could encourage them to break the eggs purposely just to eat them.

Very, very hard to break an egg eater.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You do need to try to stop this right away.

Make sure they have adequate protein. If you're just using 16% layer pellets or mash, try giving them some 22% turkey grower or even some 26% gamebird pellets if you can get them.

Make sure they have access to oyster shell at all times.

Let them free range if possible.

Give them other things to do, like a head of cabbage hanging on a rope so its tempting and hard to eat -- this distracts them.

Close off the old nest box/area, and install a completely new, fresh one. Make it much higher off the ground than the original -- preferably about 3-4 feet off the ground. Make it small, just big enough to fit into and lay. You might even want to consider a "roll-off" nest box if it's within your budget. Keep all food well away from the nest box area. Also, get some of those ceramic eggs or put in some plastic eggs with something inside for weight and taped shut, or even some golf balls. It can't hurt, don't know if it really helps.

If nothing else, you may have to just get rid of these and start over.

4. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    thank you for the great advice.. they are on layer pellet 16%, they also have oyster shell offered at all times, and they free range everyday... So i will try the changing around of the nest...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by