Eggs don't have to be warm . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cereal, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cereal

Cereal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    So here is something I did not realize when getting fertile eggs from my neighbor. They dont have to start out warm! Not sure where I missed the info on that but they gave me cold eggs for my broody hen to sit upon last year which amazed me. And they hatched just fine. This year the same thing which reminded me of this fact so I had to share.

Last year I was trying to time it just right to pick up warm eggs right after they were laid - not necessary they told me -

Is this a well known thing? Is there a certain timeframe in which they need to warm back up? Interesting . . .

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Best not to refrigerate hatching eggs. But, ideally, they should be stored at a coolish (55 or so) temperature, and kept in a carton with pointy end down, tip the carton several times/day. Hatching rate is best if they are set by the time they are 7 days old, begins to decrease after that. Up to 10 days should be ok, ?able results after that. The fresher, the better.

3. RachelLeigh

RachelLeigh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Why is it best not to refridgerate eggs first? It makes them last longer because there is little air cell moisture lost. In my experience it doesn't decrease hatch rate.

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I've never turned eggs while storing them. I just hatched a group of sebright eggs that sat for 8 days. Stored at 60 degrees-ish and never turned until they were in the incubator. 15/15 hatched.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats. That's a darn good rate.....lol

6. Cereal

Cereal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    And to think I was trying to time it so they did not cool . . . once they come out of the neighbor hen up the road, I have to be there in time to collect them and deliver to my house all the while keeping them warm... I better be speedy .. .

Thanks for the clarification and pointers. All good things to know and consider

7. RachelLeigh

RachelLeigh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Brinsea just added a new feature that actually allows a cooling period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by