Eggs - Double Yolk, Spotless, Wind egg (pic)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kim_NC, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Check these out from our Coturnix....

Top left - typical size Coturnix egg from a hen laying 4+ months
    Top right - double yolker from a new layer, about 2 weeks
    Bottom left - spotless egg from a new layer, about 2 months
    Bottom right - yolkless wind egg from a hen laying 4+ months

[​IMG]

edit: oopppsss, messed up the image, fixed now

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Double yolkers are common in coturnix, especially in young layers. I had quite a few that did when some of mine first started, though I don't get any now.

The white egg is most likely one that was laid too early. The spots are put on last, so if the hen lays the egg to soon it won't get those. Though I did have one hen that normally laid white eggs, so it could just be the way that hen is.

The wind egg is just that, a wind egg. I have no idea what causes them, but I get them from chickens, ducks, and quail. I believe I've even gotten some from the guineas [​IMG]

3. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Yeah....having them all in within a couple days and getting a pic of them together is half the fun of it to me. [​IMG]

Here are some chicken eggs and their wind eggs together in the same photo - EEs and brown layers (Barred Rocks or Delawares, they're in the same coop, so not sure who laid the brown wind egg).:

[​IMG]

ETA: The flash washed out the blue of the egg on the left. It's a typical pale blue EE egg.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The lack of pigmentation (spotless) can be due to the bird being under physical or psychological stress (like Shelley said, the hen laid to laid to early) or the lighting was improper (lack of exposure to UV rays).

Double yolked eggs is a cause of two eggs traveling down the oviduct in rapid succession moving as one and received the same shell, one egg was delayed in the oviduct and the second egg joined it, or stress occurred from interruption during laying.

Wind egg??? There are small eggs and dwarf eggs in my mind as of now. Are talking about empty eggs?

Small Eggs: Diet was low in protein, stress induced, Hen was young, temperature was too high in the breeding room, irritation or infection in the oviduct, salt was lacking in the diet
    Dwarf Eggs: No ovum has passed down oviduct; egg contained only the albumen, adequate salt lacking in diet.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The OP said the wind egg was yolk-less.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:you say there could be a lack of salt in the diet...is that something a person needs to supply their birds with ...like you would give rabbits a mineral salt block ?

7. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Did I sell ya unique egg layers? Mine do that sometimes too double yorkers are great in salads [​IMG]

Quote:

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:you say there could be a lack of salt in the diet...is that something a person needs to supply their birds with ...like you would give rabbits a mineral salt block ?

NEVER add salt to the diet as the birds can die from salt poisoning. Feeding the birds feed designated for gamebirds can solve the problem. There is a sufficient amount of salt in the feed.

9. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:
    Good to hear from you. The standard egg and the wind egg both came from hens that were chicks of yours. But yeah, I can see a double yolker being good in a salad. We like regular shaped quail eggs in salad.

10. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    The spotless egg is cool looking.. The little eggs from coturnix's are so cool, always a different piece of art.

Something I didn't realize until earlier is that the spots wash off the eggs too, I was going to boil some eggs and I washed them with a rag first. The spots started coming off if I rubbed one area too long

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by