Eggs drying out...What do I do??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kristy in WA, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Today is day 23 and there are still 2 eggs with pips, and one is zipped. Yesterday we had to help a zipped egg/chicken get out because it had been zipped for almost 2 days and wasn't making any progress. This chick was really dry and stuck to the shell, and even today, it's still not fluffing up like it should and looks scrawny and ugly compared to the 12 other chicks that hatched. I'm afraid the 2 eggs left in the bator are also drying out. They are peeping, but aren't making any progress. So, what do I do? Do I help them out too and have 3 scrawny, ugly chicks? Humidity says 60%, and the temp is right around 100. We've opened the bator several times to get out the dry chicks, so I don't know if that messed things up either, but we had no choice, it was time for them to be OUT. So, what should I do next??? Thanks, Kristy

2. Kristy in WA

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Bump...

I really need some feedback because I don't know what I should do. Kristy

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    try assisting a little and wrap each egg in a warm wet (damp really) paper towel and see if that helps also try to get the humidity up but do this all in one sitting so that the bator is not constantly opened. do not block the area where it has pipped and it getting air.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. Kristy in WA

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    OK, I wrapped a warm, wet 1/2 of a paper towell around each egg, and I put more water in the bator. How long is too long to let them struggle in the egg? Kristy

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I had to open my LG during the hatch a few times, I misted as I closed the bator.

6. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    You can add water to the incubator through a straw through the air vent hole without opening the top. I think you want the humidity to be 65-70% for hatching. at least over 65%.
    Tough choice whether to help or not. If you are willing to have weak/sick chicks you could try helping them. Left on their own they may not make it which some would believe is for the best. Alternatively maybe the moisture will help them rally. Trust your gut and do what you think is best.
    Sending thoughts your way, and at least the twelve fluffy chicks sound great!

7. Kristy in WA

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    I put hot water in the bator this time and the humidity went from 55% to 67% pretty quickly. For the first time, the little windows have condensation on them. I have decided to leave them in there and hope they will get out on their own. I don't want another scrawny chick like the one I helped out. I still don't know if he will make it. He is pretty ugly, and the other chicks peck on him periodically. He is fluffing up a little bit now, so perhaps he will rally and make it, but who knows. Kristy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by