eggs drying up *pics added*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSkiveez, Aug 28, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I'm having an issue in my Bator. The problem seems that the chicks can get the eggs cracked open, but the inside of the egg dries out before the can make it out. My temps and humidity are right where they should be.

I've had to help out 3 chicks in the last two hatches. This last chick nearly didn't make it. The chick was so dried up that I had to dab olive oil on it so its dried up feathers would soften up and it could open up its body because it was stuck in the egg shape even after the shell was removed. The two chicks from the previous hatch had the same thing happen.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I would up your humidity even more, I have the same problem especially if you live in a drier climate and/or have a fan installed in your incubator. I usually up my humidity to 75-80% during lockdown, since I've done this all my chicks hatch with no problems, even the ones that pip and don't zip for 24+ hrs.

Hope this helps, what humidity did you have it at? Maybe calibrate your hydrometer to be on the safe side, too.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I've read that some hydrometers calculate for relative humidity and not actual. That could make a difference.

I've had both spectrums of dry membranes to snotty glue membranes. [​IMG] I feel the higher humidity works for my bators (no fan)...but too much can also drown them. Try upping the humidity first...you will be able to tweak this and find what works best for you.

Good luck!

4. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    The one chick (quail) has badly deformed feet. Wouldn't this be a result of humidity being too high? It stayed 99.3-99.7 from set to hatch. I didn't have any recorded spikes. Humidity was a consistant 49-53% thru the hatch and locked down humidity was 63-67%.

5. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    The one chick (quail) that had the hardest time also pooped atleast once in its shell.

6. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I am no expert with quail...but if the feet are deformed, I would think it is a genetic issue. You can help remedy splayed legs, but feet are not necessarily fixable if deformed. I was told to up the vitamin water on my birds when issues like this arose...it was of no help.

7. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    They aren't splayed.

Here's a pic of its feet.
    [​IMG]

8. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chirping

Jun 2, 2010
    If it helps any, I have one with feet like that..she's a hatchery dominique, and her name is "kesha" cuz she's so odd. Lol. Anyway, she's not about 12-14 weeks old and she gets around fine, roosts fine, etc.

I would be concerned for my bloodline if it produced a lot of these, but one chick here and there shouldn't be an issue, and it seems they can live a normal life (saw one in the open show at fair....?)

9. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I have a hatchery Black Silkie with the same issue. She is 5 months old now. She doesn't roost, but has a functioning decent life without needed assistance. Her sister (who was born just right) hangs out with her and sleeps with her at the bottom of the coop at night.

10. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    She came from a egg I got from someone else. Ihad to pull her away from the other 3. Quail can be quite savage.

I'm hoping it doesnt need to be culled. Its not looking very promising for this one. I've got it in a seperate area with food, water and some gro-gel hoping it can pull thru. I'm pretty sure this chicks issue is a result of something going wrong in the Bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: