Eggs due Feb the 20th eggs hatched with heating pad...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    This is my little expirment. I am going to try and hatch 9 silkie eggs with a heating pad.

I have no temp/humity reader now because of the ice storm I couldnt get out to get one and today was my last day to do something with the eggs or toss them.

I have 2 8oz cups of water in and am mesuring temps by touch. I did have it on high to get it started eggs started to get HOT to touch so I turned it till I felt that it was right. LOW setting on my heating pad is PERFECT They are warm. Feels just the same heat as under my broody hen.

I will be getting a temp/humidity reader on sunday and will update my humidity and temps then.

Eggs are due on the 20th of feb.'

I am going to wait to candle when they are on day 4 and toss any of the bad eggs then. I am hand turning and will be turning my eggs 3 times daily once around 10am again at 4pm and again at 10pm. Keeping my fingers crossed. These are shipped eggs that I am not sure of they didnt make it here for 7 days. They all looked good no cracks when I recieved them none were frozen so I hope everything goes well.

I will keep this updated...

My question is?

With the heating pad what should my temps and humidity run for good hatching?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    all eggs are in and its nice and warm!

21 days to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I use a heating pad to heat my bator and my temps stay between 100-101. I don't let the heating pad touch my eggs at all though they are on a rack above the heating pad. just try for the same temp and humidity as if it were a regular still air incubator.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So far so good at one point it got a little too hot but Iv tinkered with it alot... Its nice and warm and himided.

I have a towl over the heating pad and the eggs in a egg carton sitting on the towel.

I read once if eggs are incubating properly they will be warm not hot but warm to the touch and all eggs are very warm.

Now nomore opening the box to check temps only for turning eggs and to candle on day 4.

Wish me luck! [​IMG]

5. Hi! You can measure egg temps the old way and put one to your eyelid --- it should feel just warmer than body-temp (I do it with eggs under hens)...
    Good luck!
    Lisa

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Sounds like fun, [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks I'll try that out!

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Yeah I hope it works out...They took 7 days to get here. Our electric went out the same day I got them. They sit resting for 2 days In my kitchen. I thought I had temps set perfect put eggs in and they got to hot thought i'd scrambled them took them out and candled to make sure all were ok. Then tinkered for HOURS put them back in and everything seems perfect now. Or so I am hoping!! Can;t wait to see what is going on inside them in 4 days!!!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I can't take it! Get a thermometer!!! Don't you want to know if you are at least in the ball park?????

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Oh yes I wanna know!!!...LOL its killing me...Sunday is my only hope at getting out to get one. So I have to go insain till then.................................................... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by