Eggs due to hatch, should I move Mum's & eggs inside?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oz Chook, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Oz Chook

Oz Chook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    I have 2 mum's sitting on bought fertilised eggs. They are due to hatch tomorrow, should I move them all inside my house?

I can't seperate them from the rest of the flock as there is no way of closing off part of their area so that they can still have access to theie house.

This is my first time so these may be silly questions, or obvious to you more experienced out there, sorry!

If I move them inside, do I bring the mum's out each day for 'outside time'? And how long do I keep them all seperate?

The babies will be going to a friend of mine as soon as they are old enough to removed from mum, what age is this?

I only have 6 other hens.

If you can think of anything else I should know, please feel free to tell....

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Yes, I would. Once they hatch I'd put the mom back out and keep the chicks inside.

3. Oz Chook

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    Thanks Dill, if I seperate the 2 Mums from the chicks after they hatch do I need to use a heat lamp or anything?

I thought that having the Mothers there meant that warmth etc was dealt with. We are in Spring now, so it's not cold at night.

And, this might sound daft, do the mothers get anxious if I seperate them straight away, they get pretty stressed out just leaving the eggs!

4. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Yeah, you'll need a heat lamp.

I feel kind of bad separating babies from their mothers (had to do that with ducklings, it was necessary). I don't really know how chickens would react though.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    why not just leave the chicks with the hen for her to raise? Hens, in my experience, do a great job with the babies. They certainly know how to keep them warm. Good luck!

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I agree with godsgrl. There really is no reason for you to move the hens. We have left all of our broody's in the pen with the rest of the flock and they have done just fine. I would just keep a close eye on them. The hens will not try and get off the nest with the chicks, in my experiance, untile the next day or 2. You shouldn't have to worry about them right away. You can take the chicks away from mom whenever you are ready. The hen's don't have to do anything for the chicks other than keep them warm and show them how to eat/drink. I would probley leave them with her for a few day's, just to make sure she know's that they have hatched and she will not continue to sit on "nothing", and that she has showed them the basic's. Goodluck.

7. Oz Chook

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    Thanks heaps everyone, I've decided to leave them where they are and will watch to make sure the other hens don't hassle them, first sign then I'll put them inside. I'd like to keep the mum's and chickies together though, even without being sentimental (which I am!) the practical side of warmth etc seems to make it an easier option.

Fortunately I'm on afternoon shift at work so someone will be home most of the time to make sure it all stays happy in the henhouse [​IMG]

Now I just have to wait.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by