Eggs eaten

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MLG626, Sep 23, 2017.

1. raccoons

25.0%
  2. possums

25.0%
  3. hawks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. crows

25.0%
  5. coyotes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. foxes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. rats

25.0%
  8. snakes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. cats

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. dogs

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MLG626

MLG626 New Egg

Sep 23, 2017
    My nest that had a bird sitting on it was "attacked" today. All the eggs were gone, there was many in the clutch. The eggs were taken from the nest. They left a trail of eggs, one every few feet or so. The eggs were broken on the sides and the insides gone. If you didn't pick up an egg you wouldn't have been able to tell it was sucked clean. The eggs weren't smashed in any way. Possible predators in my area are as follows:

raccoons
    possums
    hawks
    crows
    coyotes
    foxes
    rats
    snakes
    cats and dogs

So from that list might have done that? I want to reiterate I had thought I found some that were not eaten but when I picked them up the side facing down had a hole and the inside eaten clean.

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. :welcome My guess would be a coon . Did you see any tracks . Know it's not a snake hawk would kill the chicken . so would coyote and fox . rats would clean them out but not carry them away . So that only leaves crows coon possum cat's and dogs .Not a cat pretty sure of that. so now its coon possum crow and dog. Is this a trick question ?:lau

3. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I say possum. I had the same thing happen about a month ago. The possum pulled the hen off of the nest to get the eggs. He got a few feathers out of her and 2 eggs but I got him.

4. B Redhawk

B Redhawk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2017
    Could be an opossum but the trail of eggs makes me think rat. Rats will roll eggs to their nest, stopping to suck them dry along the way. If no bird seems traumatized I would doubt it was a opossum, they tend to grab feathers and the bird will be very skittish for quite a while. A rat can simply slip under and grab an egg, once that first one is gone the hen will usually leave the nest rather than defend the eggs from a rat.

two j farm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by