Eggs eggs everywhere!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nmab05, Jan 30, 2013.

1. nmab05

nmab05 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    I have four 9 month old chicks (1dark brahma, 1RIR and 2 delawares) that have been laying properly in the nesting boxes for a few months. I have one dark brahma that early on decided to lay in the yard a few times (always the same spot for a few days) but then went to the boxes like the others. Well for the last couple of months she's been sleeping on top of the coop at night and not going inside.

Today I found three eggs under the roost and one right outside the coop on the ground. Not broken but they had poop on them and I'm not sure how long they were there so I tossed them out. I can tell by the egg color that two are from the brahma. The other two I'm not too sure.

Any ideas on whether sleeping outside of the coop may cause this to happen? Or is there something else I should consider? What can I do to prevent this? I have a couple of easter eggs in each box.

2. nmab05

Apr 9, 2012
    I also use the deep litter method so maybe this has something to do with it too but that doesn't explain why there was one outside???

3. nmab05

Apr 9, 2012
    No one? Really?

4. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    I don't really know I'm afraid but wouldn't think letting her sleep outside would be good. Is she happy to be handled? Id try putting her on the nest once or twice a day and keeping a fake egg like a ceramic one or something, there to show her that's where it goes. They learn pretty quickly.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Some hens just decide they are not laying in the nest boxes no matter what you do. I would be bringing in the one that is roosting outside at night. Do it every night for a week or so and you should be able to get her to stay inside at night. It's not too safe for them to be sleeping outside at night with all the predators around.

6. nmab05

Apr 9, 2012
    I'll try bringing her in. I live in an urban area and the yard is fenced. No dogs or coyote threats. There are not too many predators but I have seen a hawk or two during the day so it's probably a good idea for her to be inside. I found a broken egg this morning on top of the nesting boxes so it means she actually laid while sitting on the top of the coop. Crazy chicken!

Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by