Eggs, eggs! I am inundated with eggs! (Mille Fleur Cochin Bantams)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Funky Feathers, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    They are laying like crazy and nobody is buying- Why?? I thought this was a popular chicken? They are sooo pretty, why no one wants my eggs?
    pics are on my website. I just don't get it. [​IMG]

2. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I don't speak for everyone, but it is starting to snow....I was highly uncomfortable with my last egg shipment, which I received surrounded by little puffs of snow. I know other people say they don't want chicks in the winter....just some possibilities.

3. brian348

brian348 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Drakesboro
    how much?

4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    I want your eggs!

I just can't afford them [​IMG]

Seems like most of the high-dollar auctions are failing right now; even the dark-egg auctions are not making anything close to what they were a couple of months ago.

5. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    $42 a dozen shipped. Shipping will probably cost $12-$14 out of that. Is that too high? [​IMG]

6. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    I know they're WORTH it - everybody is excited about the variety. I think it's just hard right now because of the holidays. I have EEs hatching on Monday - I'll PM you to check and see if you still have a shippable bunch then. But I bet if you drop the price on the existing auction or relist it a little lower, they'll go.

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    If you're interested in selling more, lower your prices and build a stronger reputation until people are comfortable with paying you more cash.

8. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I thought people would be comfortable enough by now. I have been selling these for months (since Spring), and no complaints, all my customers have had excellent hatch rates and been happy with the chicks they hatched out! And my prices were low long enough, or so I thought. I have been seeing other people get $50 a dozen and wondering why I can't get the same. My eggs are just as good if not better. Fertility is 98% here, and 85-90% shipped. Why should mine be so much cheaper? [​IMG]

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I'm thinking about adding them to my bator! Was hoping for a check today to do it but won't see it until Monday.I have no problem with the price I know the quality of the birds and you get what you pay for.[​IMG]

10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Rio_Lindo_AZ gave you very good advice. The majority of people don't think 6 months of selling is a long track record. Try lowering the price, selling out every hatch, then raising your price to market slowly... By that time you will be one of the "other guys" that gets the full price! Good luck. I would buy a dozen, but then my 4 egg omelette's would be way too expensive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by