Eggs every day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amers1414, Jun 30, 2016.

1. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Hi! I have 10 hens(red sex links) 1 of them laid a small egg yesterday (it's the first egg ever from these girls). I went out early this morning and nothing, so I was wondering do they lay eggs everyday or every other day? Do they all lay small eggs or do they change in size?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

pullets lay eggs that are smaller than usual, so they will get bigger, and some chickens lay an egg every day, others lay only every other day, but chances are that you pullets are just getting used to laying so it may be a bit before they lay regularly

3. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Oh ok hopefully we get normal size eggs regularly.It's so exciting for the kids(and me) to find eggs in the coop. Thank you

4. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    yea pullets don't follow a routine. I had a chicken lay an egg about two weeks ago....one yesterday....It takes a little while for their system to kick into gear. Also it will be a month or so of consistent laying until they are good sized eggs.

5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i was ecstatic the first time our hens laid! it's really exciting and then you see one lay an egg and it's still exciting just slightly gross too.
    mine laid normal sized eggs at first but not all pullets do.
    we also have a few red sex links and make sure you give them free choice oyster shell as i read that since their eggs are so big they need extra calcium.

6. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    I haven't seen them lay an egg I just found that one, but might be interesting to see one actually lay one.[​IMG]The feed I give them says it has all the nutrients with oyster shells, should give them extra oyster shells?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It can be a good idea to have a separate container of oyster shells available.

Sexlinks usually lay 5-7 eggs a week, but it can take up to a month or so before a newly laying pullets gets things all tuned up.
    Pullet eggs are small, they will get larger but it can take from a week or so to 6 months for it to happen.

8. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Ok I will definitely get them extra oyster shells. Thanks![​IMG]

9. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by