Eggs Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yorkiechick, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Yorkiechick

Yorkiechick New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Good Afternoon,

My 8 Chickens have started laying...Well 2 have so far. They are going on 5 months old...Yay!...
    Everything was all good until i started finding egg yolk on the ramp to the run, on the coop floor and today noticed the golf balls have all been chucked out the nesting boxes.

Also, she was in the nesting box today, heard a thump...opened up the door and there was an egg rolling away from the nesting box.
    Not sure if she is chucking them out...or she is having them on the perch or walking and there falling out....

Not sure what to do....Sorry, I am a Newbie :)

Thank you :)

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

First time layers do release soft shelled eggs...Remove your fake eggs...Put a higher lip on your boxes so the can not kick out the eggs...And hope your feeding layer pellets and oyster shell....Until their bodies get into sync with egg laying you will get all sorts of strange eggs...

3. Yorkiechick

Yorkiechick New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Thank you :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You don't need to remove the fake eggs, but it does sound like you need a higher lip on the front of the nest.
    New layers do a crazy amount of scratching around in the nests at first, they will pretty much stop doing that once they get used to laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by