eggs everywhere!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken lady 69, Dec 1, 2012.

1. chicken lady 69

chicken lady 69 New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    I have 15 24 week old chickens ( 2 rhode island reds, 2 white rocks, 3 black austrolorps, 4 golden buff and 4 barred plymouth rocks)...
    They started laying a couple weeks ago. We were getting an egg here and there, mostly outside the laying boxes.
    Now we have eggs everywhere. When I go to let them out in the morning there will be 2 or 3 on the coop floor, when I go in there will be one in the corner. When they spend the day outside, (they can go in the coop also) some will be found under the 8 x 8 chicken coop... they can get under there which I want them to be able to do because of the hawks, but NOT to lay eggs under it.. we have to take a stick and roll the egg out... when winter comes and snow gets under there we won't even see the eggs... One day this week we did find 6 eggs in the 4 boxes..We have had as many as 12 eggs a day... is this something they will catch on to? I have a plastic egg in one of the boxes. [​IMG]

2. Block off any areas they like to lay in other than the nests.

3. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Can you fit a covered cat box under the coop? I have lots f traditional nest boxes, but i bought a cat box to see if they'd like it as a broody box. I have a few who now lay in it. If you put it close to the edge so you can drag it out easily, but face the opening away from the edge so the girls have privacy that could work. Also, I know that mine like fresh nesting material. Not sure how frequently you change nesting stuff, but you could give that a try if it's old. I use pine shavings. I keep a golf ball or two in each box. I've only found an egg outside the boxes a few times. Good luck.

4. chicken lady 69

chicken lady 69 New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    I never thought of a cat box. I will keep that in mind.. Since I posted that this morning... 9 eggs were in the boxes and only 1 under coop today...

5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That's good to hear!

About the cat box if you decide to use it... Get the one with the biggest opening you can find. Only a few of my smaller girls use it. my husband bought it, and he didnt think of the size of the opening. he just bought what I wrote on the list, lol.

A rubber made tote with lid and a big hole cut in the side would work just as well. Hope your girls continue to lay in the boxes!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by